Sunday, January 18, 2009

Red Leather Couch

I'm bad. I deserve a slap on the wrist. Or at least a good tsk-tsking. It's been so long since I've posted anything! I have no excuse; I will not complain about my cuh-ray-zee schedule.


Since I've been on hiatus for so long, now is the post where I'll write more about myself (since I haven't that much so far). Where to begin?


Well, I think the most interesting thing I have going for me is the story I'm writing. I have not officially begun calling it a book yet because I'm afraid it might develop a mind of its own and attack its creator.


Anyway, working title: The Not-So Meet-Cute. This I feel I should explain. In Hollywood, when people meet in a cute way, like grab for the same book or run into each other turning a corner, it's called a meet-cute. The main character in my story evidently does not have a meet-cute, thus the title. It also is the name of a song she writes for her band, Rude Compliment. Now, the origin of the title Rude Compliment for a band is kind of funny: years ago, my younger sister was behaving obnoxiously, provoking my dad to say "You're so loud!" in an angry tone. My sister, completely offended, responded:

"Well that's a rude compliment!"


Kids say the darnedest things. I decided this sounded like a band name, which it has been ever since. My sister and I used to pretend we were in the band Rude Compliment once I suggested it. We wrote hits including "Red Leather Couch" and "I Don't Wanna Be A Danger People". Yeah, I know that second one doesn't make any sense. "Red Leather Couch" was pretty catchy though:


"Red leather, red leather couch.
Red leather, read leather couch.
When I look at you,
In your red little dress,
I think of my
red leather couch."


I'm surprised it never got on the radio.

No comments: