Monday, March 9, 2009

Not the Same Level of Disgust

I recently read a not so recent blog on Carrie Harris about first sentences in a story. This made me laugh, because the first sentence in The Not-So Meet Cute is a little unusual:

"Eww! I stink!"

Here, maybe I should give you the next few sentences too, just to give some all-important context:

I groaned. The boy sitting next to me in Calculus obviously had odor issues. I wouldn’t have noticed if I wasn’t able to read his thoughts. Okay, I would’ve noticed. He was sitting upwind of me, and he was pretty ripe. I tried to scoot my desk away from him nonchalantly.

What can I say? I'm just trying to grab the reader's attention! I'm not gonna go all Lolita and make everyone gouge their eyes out:

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins.

Now that's something to say eww to.

(P.S. Carrie has a snarfy contest you should check out!)

No comments: