Thursday, April 30, 2009

In Which Mariah Has The Best Idea Ever

Reality shows. They plague TV. I want some of that action.

They have reality shows about everything: modeling, singing, surviving, cooking, designing, hooking-up, etc.

Why isn't there a show about writing?

Picture this: each week introduces a new guest judge from the literary world, based on the genre covered that week. Contestants might have to write essays, short stories, poems, novel excerpts, and writings of that nature.

I think watching video confessions would be hilarious. Someone would say, "I know he's really not any competition for me. I mean, really, you've heard how many adjectives he uses, haven't you?" "Nobody needs this as much as I do! My mom's on crack and my sister is actually my daughter!" Talk about drama.

Here's the only thing I can't think of that would make my vision complete: who would be the host?

Brainstorm this one guys. Unless you feel silly, in which case we'll have to go our separate ways.

3 comments:

sraasch said...

Oh my gosh, I have TOTALLY thought about doing this! Wouldn't it be fun? But unfortunately I think the ratings would suck, because what writer has time to watch reality TV?

(Though I just realized there are a lot of writers who watch reality TV...anyway)

I think the host should be either an uber-famous author to draw in non-writing audiences, or Nathan Bransford. Bransford is already like the god-agent of the blogging world; why shouldn't be the god-agent of the reality TV world? I'm sure he'd be up to it.

Davin Malasarn said...

I don't remember the name of the show, but they did try to do an American-Idol type show for writers about two years ago. Contestants showed up with laptops, and there was a clause in the application that said something like "looks matter." I'm pretty sure it bombed!

Mariah Irvin said...

Yeah, I'm sure the ratings would suck. It would amuse me though.

I'll think of something better.