Monday, April 20, 2009

Ooo, Secrets

I've been lurking around Script Frenzy lately, feeling guilty I didn't make myself write one. I suppose it'll be there next year...

Anyways, I found a great article called "Three Secrets of Great Storytelling" and I started thinking about my own story. Have I been following the rules? Let's see:

1) Every story is a version of be careful what you wish for.
I think I can say that for mine. Piper, the MC, wants to know why Simon (love interest) has vivid predictions of the two of them in love. When all this wishing ends and she discovers that he's psychic, they're dragged into a bad situation that forces her into an extreme sacrifice.

2) Your protagonist's flaw is secretly what your story is about.
Yes, yes it is. Piper's determined that no one will ever find out she can read minds. Simon's the first one she reluctantly tells about this gift, but the solution of the story only comes when it is revealed on a grander, high-risk scale.

3) Don't put Tootsie in a chicken suit.
The story is specific to her flaws! Yay!

Do any of your stories follow these secrets?

3 comments:

Davin Malasarn said...

I'm not sure I agree with the first of the three, but the second and third items are great. My Tootsie is NOT in a chicken suit...even though my novel is currently called Rooster. :)

Lynnette Labelle said...

Chicken suit. LOL That's great!

Lynnette Labelle
http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

Lady Glamis said...

Ah, yes, I follow the 2nd one all the time... so true. I just hope I do it in a unique enough way that doesn't make it feel cliched. :D