Monday, May 4, 2009

...

What's my subject today?

Well, it's about something I use excessively (but not abusively). Also, I gave a hint on Friday, so if you don't remember you will in a millisecond.

ELLIPSES!!!

Ah, the dot dot dot. How you fill my heart will joy!

It is this particular sentiment that has led me to write an ode to ellipses. Okay, it's just a poem, but ode sounds better. You're probably wondering "What's so great about grammar? Or an ellipsis?" Well, I'm about to tell you.



"Ode to an Ellipsis"

Oh flowery, vague ellipsis,
How you remind me of mitosis.
You begin with a single period
And continue to the myriad.
Sentences are abruptly finished,
Their meanings undiminished.
You trail off randomly
But do so quite buxomly.
Ellipsis, all I ask
Is that you...



Oh no. The poem ended!

Random word usage is so much fun. "Hmm...what rhymes with ellipsis?"

5 comments:

Davin Malasarn said...

eclipses? This was great! I work very very hard not to have any ellipses in my writing. It's probably best to hold a little soft spot for them every once in awhile. :)

Lady Glamis said...

You have chosen one of my favorite subjects! I did a whole post on these here.

I love ellipses way too much. *sigh*

sraasch said...

Such a touching poem! I was truly moved. *sniffle*

Lee said...

Hey I was reading Anna Waggener's blog-thing and... anyway some comment stalking later saw that you entered the Push contest too. Aren't you nervous? I freak out every time the phone rings and check the site obsessively. I think only someone else who has entered would understand this kind of suspense haha. Anyway, good luck!

-Lee
(I realize how odd that all was)

Mariah Irvin said...

Lee: I keep refreshing the website over and over! I definitely freak out every time the phone rings or any time I get a new e-mail. Glad to know I'm not the only one!