Monday, May 25, 2009

Goings on in Mariahville

So I had my senior prom on Saturday night. It was pretty significant for my school because it was the first one held outside the cafeteria. Shock! It was at a yacht club, so it was pretty nice. Pictures of my ridiculously heavy dress and curly hair to come.

I'm traveling to North Carolina today to visit Elon. I'm so excited! I get to meet with the Associate Dean of the journalism department, so naturally I have to be fabulous and witty. Nervous-making!

Oh, another development: Ugly Betty wore my dress! I can't find a picture of it, but it's my absolute favorite dress ever. My parents gave it to me for my birthday and I'm always finding excuses to wear it. On the show Betty dressed it up in her quirky fashion, so it was hard to recognize at first, but when I realized it was mine I was like "my dress is famous!" (And it was on sale!)

No other imminent news at the moment. I'll be back on Wednesday with a full account of Elon.

8 comments:

Davin Malasarn said...

I'm glad you're having such an exciting time, Mariah! Enjoy every moment of it.

awwaggener said...

Oh college visits. I never actually went on one, but that was not a smart move on my part. At all. I hope that Elon goes well!

sraasch said...

*squee* Have fun at your college visit!! Way exciting!

Carrie Harris said...

Prom AND college visits? Yeep! The awesomeness is unending. Have fun, dahlink.

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

I saw you on LitGirls blog and had to comment because 1.) you're from MD (so was I) and 2.) Your name is Mariah which is my main characters name though I spell it differently. So if it ever gets published we can just pretend I based her on you. ;)

Mariah Irvin said...

Thanks to all the well wishers!

Karen: I'd love to pretend it's based on me!

Pen Pen said...

I'm gonna give u some 'Penny Advice': Do internships in college! If you don't, you will have to start at the lowest position in journalism(from the friends I've seen try- that's usually as the person who answers the phones for like 10 bucks and hour and NO benefits!)
I can't say it enough- Make friends with writers and editors at the place u want to work, and start making a portfolio NOW!!!
Also--See if you can find any on-line newspapers or news sites that will let u freelance contribute--AND get on the campus newspaper/tv station.
Good Luck in college!! The first week of college was the hardest thing ever for me, but every day after that was amazing!! Stay away from midnight pizzas tho!! :)

Mariah Irvin said...

Thanks for the advice! Elon has a lot of internship and freelance opportunities so it sounds like I picked the right school!