Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"Stop!!! Don't Do That!"

That's what I had to stop myself from screaming out loud yesterday.

I was writing my book during last period (we were watching a movie, so I didn't really miss anything, nor was I missed) when something unexpected happened. My MC did something very out of character.

The scene I was writing was close to the conclusion of the book, so things were climaxing and whatnot. I had a pretty good idea what I thought would happen, but I guess that was my first mistake. Things never occur in my book like I expect them to. I'm sure everyone can relate.

Piper totally made a huge mistake. How was I supposed to know that was going to happen? I'm just the writer! Even as I wrote it I didn't really know what I was doing. As the mistake came up, though, I found myself pounding on my desk. It drew curious stares from classmates, but I didn't care. I'm just hoping Piper can make it out alive.

Has that ever happened to you? You're writing, not really paying attention, and then BAM!!! the real plot hits you from out of the blue?

4 comments:

Davin Malasarn said...

That has happened to me. It's usually some of my most exciting writing, in my opinion. I love it when that happens. I no longer believe the characters are acting of their own free will, but I like to explore these twists and turns. It often opens up new opportunities for you to be creative, and if it ends up not working, you can always go back and revise!

sraasch said...

I love it when that happens! Such a cool feeling, knowing the story has taken off like that!

Litgirl01 said...

I do that all the time....it's great!!! :-) I usually all my friend and say, "you aren't going to believe what Kate did NOW!"

Mariah Irvin said...

I know! It feels like watching a soap opera and then gossiping about it.