Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Nervous-Making

Alright. I'm gonna take a deeeeeeeeeeeep breath before I formally decide this.

Okay. I can do this.

I think I can do this.

Here it is: I'm going to finish my novel by August 28. There, I've said it. Scary.

Why August 28 you wonder? Well, that's when I go to college. Also, I've been working on this novel on and off for two years now and haven't even finished the first draft. Yes, I've been editing it along the way, but that needs to stop. I must have some form of completeness.



Anyways, in other non-scary news, I barely walked out of the bookstore alive yesterday.

Wait, that does sound scary.

I'll explain. You see, I didn't plan on going into the bookstore yesterday, but when I did, I couldn't stop myself from picking up seven different books and wanting to buy all of them. This is a problem because I can't afford to buy so many books, especially hardback. After much decision making, I eventually purchased The Book Thief and Looking for Alaska. Hopefully these are good books. Otherwise, I might cry.

Oh, also while in the bookstore, I took the liberty of pretending I have a published book. I went to the YA section and looked for the "I"s and found that my book would be between A Company of Swans by Emma Ibbotson and Voss by David Ives.

This, in addition to my new goal, is nervous-making because I've never heard of these books/authors, and a key phrase from Voss is gray fedora.

4 comments:

awwaggener said...

I believe in you! I know so many writers desperate to get a book done this summer before school starts, and I feel privileged to count myself among them. Together we will conquer!

On another note, I love that you went to a bookstore and looked for where your name would go. I'm pretty sure I'll have to do that the next time I'm at Borders.

Mariah Irvin said...

Thanks for the encouragement!

Sarah said...

Looking for Alaska is an excellent book and I've heard good things about The Book Thief. I think you'll like them.

Yay on setting a date to finish!! If you ever need a little encouragement, just imagine your book between Emma Ibbotson and David Ives. That has GOT to motivate you:) I'll have to do that next time I'm in a bookstore.

Pen Pen said...

:) I do that in bookstores too!!! If I ever get published, I'm gonna randomly go to book stores and sign some of my books too :)