Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Book Thief

I finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak this weekend and I hardly know how to describe it.



Yeah, it was that good.

I'll admit this: I cried at least three times during this book. The writing was so...heartbreaking, yet poetic.

And I hate Markus Zusak for being such a great writer. Jealousy!

Anyways, the book takes place in Nazi Germany. The main character, Liesel, is forced to live with foster parents with her biological mother can no longer care for her. The book begins when she's nine years old, and ends when she's fourteen, giving the reader ample time to understand her complex outlook on life.

One of my favorite characters was Hans Hubermann, Liesel's foster father. He plays the accordion like no one else can, and his eyes are often described as "silver".



This is what I imagine he looks like (the man, not the pig).

And then there's Rudy Steiner, the boy with "hair the color of lemons". Oh, Rudy, you're the most sincere boy I've ever read.

I feel like I can hardly express the greatness of this book, so promise you'll read it yourself, kay?

8 comments:

sraasch said...

I watched an interview with Markus on one of the morning talk shows. He's Australian, ie: adorable accent. That alone is enough incentive to read his books ;)

Kiersten said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I know. This was the first book to make me bawl in like ten years. I sobbed for like the last thirty pages straight. My husband was like, "Is it a bad book? Just stop reading!"

And I was like, SOB, "NO!" SOB "It's" SOB "A" SOB "BEAUTIFUL" SOB "BOOK!"

And then some more sobs.

But I agree with you on the jealousy factor. That was definitely one of those "I will NEVER be able to do this" books.

Sarah said...

I haven't read this book yet but I don't think I've heard a bad word about it. I need to get hold of it!

storyqueen said...

I didn't want to like the book. Soooo much buzz about it.....but it really won me over. It is truly gut wrenching....and Death tells you exactly what is going to happen, but that makes it no less devastating when it does.

When I finished it, I thought maybe I should just give up writing....nothing I write will ever be as good.

A truly amazingly beautiful book.

(So few people I know have read it! It's nice to talk about it with someone!)

Shelley

Mariah Irvin said...

sraasch: I'll have to look for that!

Kiersten: I was puppy-sitting when I read this book, and when I cried it put it's head in my lap and looked up with me with it's big eyes as if to say "Why you cry?"

Sarah: YOU MUST READ THIS!

I'll wait.

storyqueen: Thanks for stopping by!

Pen Pen said...

It's a rare book to make me cry-haven't done it since the book- 'Beauty' I read in 5th grade(white horse breaks legs in cow grate and has to be shot :(
I'll have to get this-I trust ur opinion!! :)
AND!! GOOD NEWS!! Go read my new post!

Carrie Harris said...

I am a bad person. I haven't read this, mostly because I know I will cry.

Paneral said...

Oh my god i loved that book. I hated that book. I hated it for loving it so much, I guess. But seriously, I don't cry, but I really wanted to cry at the ending.