Friday, August 21, 2009

I Think I've Been Procrastinating

I'm pretty sure I should be writing my book right now.



I don't know what's stopping me. Is it the fear of failure? Is the story not ready to be finished?

It's hard for me to get in that place, that writing place. I wonder why I've chosen such an odd perspective. It feels like I'm struggling with it; my MC reads minds, so I have to be aware of every character's emotions, thoughts, dreams, hates...all at the same time. It feels overwhelming. But isn't that what writing's about? I guess I feel like some of the characters should be a mystery, even to me.

I keep thinking all these things about why I shouldn't write, but then I remember something Charlotte Bronte said.

"I'm just going to write because I cannot help it."



Novel, here I come.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

"I'm just going to write because I cannot help it."
That's the perfect attitude. You're really, really close to the golden 50k. Don't give up!
Good luck:)

Mariah Irvin said...

Thanks Sarah! I've gotten some writing done today, so I'm a little bit closer!

sraasch said...

I'm totally in the same boat. But I've found that if you just write, as your quote said, you will eventually break out of it. I've also found that reading other YA lit helps get the juices flowing.