Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Khaled Hosseini

Yesterday Khaled Hosseini came to speak to Elon University about his book A Thousand Splendid Suns, the freshman mandatory reading.

It was incredible.



He was there, in the flesh, sitting right in front of me! I was so excited I was literally shaking.



He talked a lot about Afghanistan and the international community, but my favorite part was when he described his experience writing A Thousand Splendid Suns.



First, let me say that I love, love, love this book.

Khaled started by saying how hard it was to begin writing this, especially because the main characters are female. But, once he started writing his characters as human beings, rather than strictly Afghan women, things began to fall into place. Miriam and Leila took over the story and he simply wrote what they were saying.



I can personally identify with this feeling, and love Khaled more than anything for talking about this. I wanted to rush onto stage and hug him for addressing how hard it is to write when you don't let your characters do what they need to do.

When he was done speaking, I got a picture with him!



I was so nervous I could barely breathe! Somehow, I whispered "Hi" before he signed my program.

He said hi back.

I'm still on what I like to call a "Hosseini high", and am beyond happy that I had such an amazing experience.

10 comments:

sraasch said...

So cool! Did you tell him you're a writer too?

Mariah Irvin said...

All I could say was "Hi." I was so nervous! Also the line was really long so everyone was getting pushed along.

Suzanne said...

Look at you! *woot*

Lisa and Laura said...

Wow, this sounds like an incredible experience. How inspiring!!

Hayley said...

That's so awesome! Congrats! I totally love it when older writers talk about how the characters talk to them, it makes me seem less crazy and I can be all "I told you I'm not the only one" to my friends. Congrats on getting to meet him, and on winning Sara's Holloween contest!

Hayley said...

I cannot believe I just spelt Halloween wrong...I am sorry my brain is not functioning today. God that’s embarrassing.

Sarah said...

How awesome and inspiring! WIll you frame that autograph?

Mariah Irvin said...

As soon as I get home!

Pen Pen said...

OH MY GOD!! I'm reading that book RIGHT NOW!!!
Can I photoshop myself in and pass it off like I was there too?!

I can't believe he came to ur school!!! Was it free to go?! Insanity!!!

Carrie Harris said...

Some day, he'll be going all squealy fanguy over the fact that he met The Mariah Irvin.

Heh.