Thursday, October 8, 2009

Serious(ly)

First off, how crazy is this?



It has nothing to do with today's post, but it fascinated me nonetheless. Dinosaurs aren't extinct; they're hiding in Germany!

First announcement: I've decided to do my "resident expert" thing once a week, on Fridays, starting next Friday (since I've already done one this week). And they don't have to be on hunky guys (although that is preferred), so continue leaving me your requests!

Okay, here's the actual post of the day. I know, finally, Mariah, just get on with it.

Adverbs.

They have become my enemy. They don't make my writing any better, but they're so easy to use! I've been systematically chopping them out of my WiP as I edit, but I'm still sad to seem them go. They aren't getting cut out altogether, mind you, but they're practically an extinct grammar form now.

So, opinions on adverbs please. Love, hate, love to hate, hate to love? Hopefully there's another "hate to love" out there that's willing to commiserate with me.

6 comments:

Lisa and Laura said...

We avoid adverbs like the plague. Or at least try to. We tend to like the "ly" words, so we'll do a search on "ly" in our final stages of editing and delete any that aren't absolutely necessary. It definitely tightens things up.

P.S.
My son would LOVE that dino thing.

sraasch said...

I love how the audience is totally unmoved until the T-Rex comes out, then they're all over their cameras. Those things were severely cool though.

I do avoid adverbs, but not until editing. I leave em as sort of "placeholders" until then.

Davin Malasarn said...

Wow, that's an amazing video. Now I know what I'm going to be for Halloween.

As for adverbs, I try to cut most of them, but I think it's okay to have a few. So, keep your favorites!

:] said...

German dinosaurs? Madness.
As for the adverbs, I personally think a couple here and there are fine, though, I am not really an expert on the matter. I am still trying to overcome my troubles with excessive adjectives in my writing.

Pen Pen said...

...how wrong is it that I write but can't remember what an adverb is?! It's a miracle I can put together a sentence!
Hold on tho-I'm gonna go google it!
Okay-I'm back! I like adverbs as long as they're not overused. I use the word "I" to begin sentences too many times too-It's a problem.

-and those dinosaurs...I'd FREAK out if I was standing there! I saw 'Jurassic Park'! I'm no fool!! T-Rex is one micro chip away from chasing Dr. Grant and Dr. Malcom in a jeep!!

Pen Pen said...

no really--r those mechanical or were they added to the scene by computer?!
...or are they real? They look real!