Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Some Ninth Grade Wisdom

First, I must, nay, I am privileged to announce that Sarah now has an agent! Woot woot! I've read her work, and it's more than amazing, so please go congratulate her because she deserves it!



I've been on hiatus the last few days because my school was nice enough to give us a fall break *insert fist pumping* and I decided to soak up every moment.

While at home, I spent some time going through old papers from high school. One paper from U.S. History class surprised me. In ninth grade, I "interviewed" Thomas Edison, and this is one of my favorite things that he "said" when I asked him about his iron ore business failure:

"Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. This is why I do not call these life events failures, instead I call them life experiences. The only time I really become discouraged is when I think of all the things I would like to do and the little time I have in which to do them."


I think my ninth grade self knows more about the world than I do right now! I'm going to save this little snippet indefinitely for all the times I feel like my writing is inadequate, or that I'll never accomplish my goals.

Now I'll recommend that you go read L&L's post about good vibes! Let's all spread the writerly love!

5 comments:

Anita Saxena said...

This is a great quote! You were a very insightful 9th grader.

sraasch said...

Wow, very nice quote! I think I might keep that handy for an inspirational boost...

Sarah said...

First, *HUGS*. You are so sweet! Thank you!

Second, that's a fantastic quote. I think I'm going to write it down somewhere for inspiration.

Third, welcome back! I'm glad you had a good break! :)

Suzyhayze said...

I've often said that I will never be as smart again as I was a sixteen. Oh well!

Hayley said...

Yeah I think I also knew more about the world when I was in ninth grade. It's a great quote awe inspiring. Keep it up Mariah!