Friday, November 27, 2009

Resident Expert: Myself*

Well, at least I hope I'm an expert on myself!

Ready to have all your riveting questions about me answered? Here we go!



Jade asks: What was your inspiration to write a western for NaNo?

The initial idea for my NaNo novel came to me in a dream during April/May of this year. At the time, I was writing The Not-So Meet Cute (which is going to be placed on a high, dusty shelf for a very, very long time) so I let it simmer in my mind until this month, when I finally unleashed it. The dream I had about the main character, Jane Hawkes, was really vivid, but most of her story was cleaned up so it could be written in a YA novel. Originally, J.H. (what she was called in my dream) was a little older, and she was a gold-digger that married men and killed them afterward. That is, until she meets her love interest (August) and can't bring herself to kill him. I'm sooooo glad the book has evolved to where it is now; it's become intricate and amazing and I'm completely in love with it. I have absolutely no experience with westerns, so it's been an inspiring challenge.

Sarah wants to know: If you were stuck on a deserted island (so original, I know), what three books would you want with you?

This is an evil question, Sarah. Evil evil evil.

Okay *sigh*. First, I would take Jane Eyre. This book inspires me on so many different levels. Second, I would bring my Jane Austen anthology. Since all of her books are in it, this technically isn't cheating. Yay!

Third... grr... so hard...

I guess I'll say War and Peace because I haven't finished it yet. If I was going to be stuck on a desert island, I would need something to occupy a lot of my time. Plus, Tolstoy is amazing.

It's December 1st. 12:01 a.m. What are you doing?

Right now, there are two possible answers to this question.

1) I'll be crying, banging my head on the keyboard because I haven't finished my novel.

2) I'm dancing around my dorm room in a wild fashion, eating lots of chocolate. Then, at 12:02, edits will begin (because yes, I am that person).

I'm really hoping it's the second one.


Sara Raasch asked me: Favorite color?

Pink.

But it hasn't always been pink. Until I met one of my very best friends, it was blue.

My clothes are always colorful: pink, purple, teal, burgundy. I only have one black t-shirt and it's from a Coldplay concert.


Favorite romance scene from a book?

The scene in Jane Eyre when Mr. Rochester tells Jane that she doesn't need to be the governess for his house anymore because he's marrying Blanche Ingram. This saddens Jane, because she loves him and doesn't want to be parted from him. But, instead of obeying him, she stands up and fights for what she wants. To her surprise, Rochester loves her too.

Not to mention it has the best literary symbol of all time (the chestnut tree under which he proposes to her is struck in half by lightning).

What would you do in the event of a nuclear zombie apocalypse? Run, fight, barricade yourself in a bomb shelter?

I would fight because I'm scrappy.

Also, I've read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, so I feel that I'm pretty well prepared.

Favorite song to listen to while driving? (aka favorite song to sing along to while driving?)

I haven't driven for a while since my car is at home and I am not. I'd still have to say it's this one, though.



Hayley asks: Where do you find your inspiration in general? (I'm playing off Jade's question)

Most of my ideas come to me when I'm trying to do something else, like sleep. You have no idea how many nights I wake up with an awesome idea and I have to write it on a nearby notebook. It's very hard to decipher these things in the morning, especially when they're written upside down over top of something else.

Sometimes when I'm writing I like to take a break and get a hot shower because I feel like it wakes me up and gets my brain juices flowing.

How do you name your character, or how do you figure out their names?

For my NaNo book, I already knew the main character's initials were J.H., so her first name automatically became Jane (in case you haven't noticed, I'm a little obsessed with all things Jane). For all the other names, I found a great reference for western baby names, and that's how I found August's name.

Also, August just sounds delicious.

For The Not-So Meet Cute (on it's very high shelf), the MC's name, Piper, came to me when I thought of a fiesty little red-head. I'm still not sure why, but I love it. Then Simon's name was made when I thought of names that sounded good with Piper. It took a lot of random shouting of male names to come up with his, but now that it's him, I wouldn't change it for anything.

I find that if I have negative associations with names because of people I know personally, or other characters, that effects the final names of all my characters.

How do you balance school and writing? I'm not even in college yet and can barely find the time.

I always make sure my schoolwork is finished before I start writing. After that, pulling all-nighters to finish "just one more scene" is relatively common. It's definitely not an easy balance to maintain, but if I put aside a certain time for writing, it almost always gets done.

What's your favorite movie, that is not Jane Austen related?

"The Princess Bride", hands down. I could watch this movie a million more times and never grow bored with it.

What exactly am I supposed to do now that I've gotten this blog award?

Well, the "Honest Scrap" award needs to be passed to ten other deserving bloggers and you should write ten things about yourself your followers might not already know. Other than that, enjoy it!



I hope this little "Q&A" session has been informative, and that everybody had a Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Friday!



*I apologize there are not hot guys in this post. Next week, I promise.

8 comments:

sraasch said...

August does sound delicious.

That song is way catchy!

Hayley said...

I also tend to have negative connotations with names, but the one I find most ironic is that Marissa means "sea of bitterness" I no longer have negative associations with that name. And August is an amazing name, once you introduced us to your characters for your western awhile back I was so jealous that you had such a sexy name going for him.

And thank you so much for clearing up the award questions for me :)

Jade said...

I have negative connotations with names as well. Oddly though, I have two characters called Alex from two different books.

Jane Eyre hey? I won't give you my thoughts on that book. It was my english book for year 12. I analysed every. single. word.

melane said...

My MC's name just came to me, but I used a baby names book for the rest.

I adore the Princess Bride, too. I never get tired of watching it. I love it when Wesley says "As you wish." I'd love for my husband to tell me that:)

Mariah Irvin said...

sraasch: Whenever my favorite radio station plays it, I like to pump it up really loud!

Hayley: Isn't August perfect? *swoon*

Jade: Me too! I studied Jane Eyre in 12th grade. I could probably recite it forwards and backwards and then discuss feminism for a few days.

melane: I think if a guy said "As you wish" to me, I would melt.

Lisa and Laura said...

I love the picture!!! And for the record, you make a fabulous resident expert. Princess Bride really is the best movie EVER, right?

Happy belated Thanksgiving!

:] said...

Inconceivable!
The Princess Bride is one of my favorite movies as well!
It is just impossible to dislike, isn't it?

張曼玉Lynn said...

That's actually really cool!AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,做愛,成人遊戲,免費成人影片,成人光碟