Monday, December 7, 2009

CONTEST CONTEST CONTEST!!!

To introduce my contest, I made my first vlog ever! Do not mock.




I promise I'll look at the camera more next time.

Squee! It's a contest!

Like I said, today marks the beginning of International Cowboy Appreciation Week (ICAW). This Friday will be my 200th post, so I thought it would be awesome to have a contest for my recently finished NaNoWriMo novel.

Here be the rules:

1) Be a follower. When I'm a famous published author someday and I'm asked how I came up with the title of my book, I don't want to have to say "Oh, a random person on the internet gave me the idea." That's not cool. Also, if you mention it on your blog, you will definitely get brownie points.

2) Leave your title ideas in the comment section of THIS post. Please.

That comment should include your title (or titles, multiple entries allowed) and the title of the book you want to win should your title be chosen (hold on, I'm getting to the title thing in a second).

3) All submissions must be turned in by midnight on Thursday, November 10th, Eastern time. I will announce the winner and the runner-up on Friday, DECEMBER 11th. To make sure the contest is fair, I will have some friends of mine give me their opinions of the titles as well.*



PRIZES:

The first place winner will win three separate items:

1) A book from my TBR list:
Lips Touch by Laini Taylor
As You Wish by Jackson Pearce
Going Bovine by Libba Bray
Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

If you've read or have all of these books, you can also pick one from my Shelfari side bar. There are more classics in that pile if you're not a fan of YA.

2) I'm making photo books with the pictures I took in Italy this summer. As the first place winner, you will not only receive one, but you can also pick some of the pictures that you want to go in the book. You can look at my Flikr page as a reference.

3) I will write and sing a song of your awesomeness on a vlog.


The runner up will win:

1) The aforementioned photo book.

2) A poem about their awesomeness.



I better get more than two entries in this contest, guys. Don't disappoint me!

To make this post even more epically long, I'm going to post the synopsis of my novel so you can begin thinking of titles.



When Jane Hawkes, seventeen, runs away from her morally corrupt and abusive family, she ends up running towards the dangers and deadly secrets the west holds. Set in the wild west, this YA fiction features gun fights, Native Americans, wild horses, saloons, a doctor's apprentice, romance, and a girl trying to live her life on her own terms.



That's probably the shortest description I've ever given. What a good time to practice your brevity, Mariah *rolls eyes*

Also, here's a previously posted excerpt.

There shall be excerpts and other such things throughout the rest of the week, so stay tuned!

Let the titling commence!



*Even though a title will win, I will not necessarily end up using it. Just thought you should know.

22 comments:

Lady Glamis said...

Oh my goodness you are TOTALLY CUTE!!!!!!!!!! Hehe, I'm just grinning at how cute you are. I wish I had the guts to do a vlog. One day, maybe, one day...

Anyway, I'll be entering your contest for sure. What great prizes! Thanks for doing this. I'm going to go think about cowboy themes now. :)

Lady Glamis said...

Should I email the entries to you? Or leave them here?

inthewritemind said...

I love that vlog! You're certainly braver than I am. As much as I want to do a vlog, I'm uber scared...I do NOT look good on video :P

Anyway, my question's the same--do I email you the title or post it here?

Yay for contests!

inthewritemind said...

LOL, ok it's Monday and I'm slow. The answer to the question I asked you was already in your post :P

Mariah Irvin said...

Heehee, that's okay. Official announcement: leave all titles in the comments of this post!!!

Glam: Aww, thank you.

Davin Malasarn said...

How fun! I have a lot of trouble with titles too. So, you haven't posted the excerpts yet, which means that my entry will be based solely on the synopsis, but here goes:

Unlassoed

inthewritemind said...

Here are a few of mine, based off your synopsis and my general-but-very-limited knowledge on Westerns. Feel free to laugh at their ridiculousness, because I know I did :P:

The Call of Freedom
Tumbleweed Jane
Jane of the West

Just reading your synop, she sounds a bit like a tumbleweed, going in whichever direction the winds take her :P At least that's what I thought...however wrong I may be!

I may come up with more as the week goes on...we'll see!

Lady Glamis said...

Here's some of my title ideas. I may put up more as you give us more insight to the story.

Wild, Wild Jane

I know this sounds totally dumb but it could work if marketed right:

Run, Jane, Run

The Wild Secrets

That's it for today. I'll send in more strange ideas later, perhaps.

Lisa and Laura said...

Your vlog is adorable! You must do more! Also how were we not already blog followers? Weird. I fixed that.

Um...we suck at titles, but I'll give this a shot.

Going West

Sarah said...

LOVE the vlog! You're so cute, and I love your cowgirl hat. Wherever did you get it?

Also, maybe I'm living in an alternate universe but do you mean the contest ends in December?? Because I swear, November already hightailed it outta here.

Anywho, I will be BACK to properly enter the contest.

Mariah Irvin said...

Davin: I just added an excerpt I've already posted. Sorry 'bout that!

Sarah: Thanks. I can't believe I let myself make that mistake. *shudders with the thought of November*

Southern Princess said...

Okay after reading the entries on the manuscript:

Headstrong

A Rebellious Love

Rebellious

A Defiant Heart

Wild in Love

Wild Beginnings

A Wild Journey

Secrets of A Wild Heart

Desert Runner

Solitary Secrets

I totally suck at title creation... maybe one of these will help.

Love the information & excerpts!

JenE said...

How fun!! And Congrats that you finished NaNo! I ended up with 26,000 words, and now I haven't written in two weeks! (Must remedy that soon!)
I'll have my cowboy thinking hat on the rest of the week. (Hopefully)
How about:

The Long Road to Happiness (or Love) (cheesy, I know)

The Long Road to (what state does she end up in?)

Shaking off the Dust

sraasch said...

Hehe, you are too cute :)

My attempt at a title:

Jane's Air

I know you said you modeled her after Jane Eyre, and the "Air" play on words could be referring to that and to the fact that she becomes free.

Hm. I'll think of more.

JenE said...

Okay, I thought of a couple more, but I am terrible at titles! I think titles either come easily to a person, or they don't. I'm in the latter group.

Tall Shadows (or Long Shadows)

Eyes Westward

inthewritemind said...

More titles for you:

Lonesome Jane
Chasing the Sunset
Chasing Jane
Jane Untamed

inthewritemind said...

Ok, just a few more...LOL, I get kind of caught up in title creation, even though they aren't that good :P

Escaping Heartache
Call of the Prairie
Spur in the Saddle

Sarah said...

Yeah, I'm not great at titles. So far, here's what I've got:

Into the Wild, Wild West
Gone Astray
The Lone Ranger (which, okay, was a TV show or something, but perhaps you can call it: "Jane Hawkes: The Lone Ranger?)
The Lone STRanger

If I'm struck by more [clearly] brilliance, I shall return.

Southern Princess said...

Okay here are a few more:
Flight of Fury
An Elusive Heart
Daring to Hope
Wild Hope
A Rebel Heart
Hope in the Wild
Hope's Battle Cry
The Untamed Heart
A Reckless and Beautiful Beginning
Wild Abandon
An Evasive Heart
Solitary Sunset
Beyond the Sunrise
A Beautiful Fury
Spirit of the Sunrise
The Fury
Seeking Solitude

Southern Princess said...

oh a few more I forgot:(I really enjoyed this by the way)

Shadows of the Heart
Shadows of a Reckless Spirit
Battle Cry of the Broken
Stubborn Spirit
A Wild and Beautiful Love
Jane's Fury
A Desolate Heart

inthewritemind said...

Ok, since you posted some songs and lyrics, it helped me come up with a few more:

Battle Cry of the Heart
The Quiet Calling
Following the Horizon

Mariah Irvin said...

The contest is officially closed! Thanks to everyone who entered... I should have the results up soon! I have some hard choices to make!