Thursday, December 10, 2009

ICAW Music

Today is the last day for the contest! All entries are due by twelve midnight EASTERN time.

Music has always been a big part of my writing process, so I thought I should share music I listened to during NaNoWriMo.

The first song I became addicted to was from Last of the Mohicans. Listening to it sends shivers down my spine... it's sooooo perfect for my book. I can feel the emotional tension.



I tried to make a radio station on Pandora for this kind of music, but it was all too Celtic. Naturally, I fell to my usual Regina Spektor.

"Samson" is a beautiful piano song and story. The way Regina says "Samson" oozes love and affection.



Then came the chillingly gorgeous "Breathe Me" by Sia.

I've fallen deeper into love with Ingrid Michaelson. Out of all of her songs, this one relates to the book best.



Also, The Beatles are pure genius. I can see "Hey Jude" fitting in perfectly with a scene in my book. So much so, I almost cry.




Finally (well, not really, but I feel bad for posting all these videos) is "The Call" by Regina Spektor.



If anyone happened to make a title from the lyrics of these songs, specifically:

"It started out as a feeling
Which then grew into a hope
Which then turned into a quiet thought
Which then turned into a quiet word
And then that word grew louder and louder
'Til it was a battle cry"

... I might love you forever. Good luck!

Oh, and FYI, the winners of the contest probably won't be posted until tomorrow evening-ish because I'll be taking finals.

3 comments:

inthewritemind said...

I love that theme from the Last of the Mohicans! VERY moving! I love listening to movie soundtracks--they really help me too with setting the mood of the story.

Ok, so I tried to come up with a few titles loosely based off the lyrics you gave, but I fear it was a poor attempt :P They're posted in the comments of your contest post...

sraasch said...

I <3 Regina Spektor. My god she's amazing.

Hayley said...

I love Regina Spektor, but I can't get The Call (by far my favorite song) because you have to buy the whole album for it. Not cool.