Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Almost Kiss...

So I didn't get the chance to enter the No Kiss Blogfest at Frankie's blog, but I thought it would be fun to post my "almost kiss" anyways.

This is from Jane's Air, my WiP. A little background: Jane, the MC, was taken to an Indian camp by August, who she owes a favor. She didn't know that that was where he was taking her, so she tried to escape, but was caught by the Indians anyway. August rescues her, then she finds out that he is an ally with the Indians... and I think now you are pretty much caught up.



Soon, they were both on the horse and riding away from the Indian settlement and towards their fellow “evil white men”.

Jane’s arms were wrapped around August’s waist like the previous ride, but this time, she had no plans of letting go. Once they were under the moon’s light on open plains, she leaned into him to whisper into his ear.

“I’m sorry I didn’t trust you, August. I felt the pack of guns and I was scared.”

August shivered as he felt her warm breath on his neck. He believed her apology, but didn’t know how to respond to it. She intimidated him, and elicited other emotions he couldn’t describe. When she had jumped off of his horse, he had felt like his heart had jumped off as well. Finding her amongst the Indians his breath was finally able to return, but the way she looked up at him when her blindfold was removed scared him. She was ready to fight, no matter who she might be up against. It took his comforting arm around her shoulders and praise from the Indians to finally help her relax and trust her surroundings. As he recalled her actions, he realized he still hadn’t responded to her apology and she had drifted further back on the horse. His moment was gone, so he continued to guide the horse back to the stable.

In the stable, Jane slid off the back of the horse before August could offer his hand. Then she looked at him with an intently curious expression.

Her mouth opened, but at first, no words came out. When she tried again, she asked “Why did you take me with you?”

August shrugged his shoulders. “I dunno. I guess I thought you might enjoy an adventure.”

“How did you know I wouldn’t try to attack Antinanco for calling us part of the evil white race?” she took a step closer to him.

“There are just some things you know,” he lifted his head so that his eyes might meet hers, but his bangs got in the way.

Like she had done earlier, Jane pushed them out of his face without thinking about it; such was their proximity. August’s heart stopped with his breath.

“Thank you,” she whispered, hand dropping back to her side. Then she backed away and left the stable.

He stood and stared at where she had been for a few moments.


5 comments:

sraasch said...

Mmmm August.

That's all I have to say.

Mmmm

Mariah Irvin said...

Wow. I just realized how cheesy August sounds.

“There are just some things you know."

*gag*

Lisa and Laura said...

Nicely done, nicely done. And NO WAY, August is not cheesy. He's sweet. That's what girls want, right? At least that's what I wanted!

Brigitte said...

Pretty : )~

Hayley said...

sara said it all August, mmmm... he's so not cheesy, not in any way shape or form. He's adorable! I love this scene!