Monday, January 25, 2010

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

First, an announcement (which some of you already know):

I finished the first draft of Jane's Air last Thursday! Yay! Naturally, I've been editing ever since. That is, when I'm not doing homework or sleeping.

Actually, I've been editing instead of sleeping, so never mind that last one.

Anywho, I took a little break Saturday night to watch "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly".



And it was really good.

I never liked anything western-related before I started my book; now I can't seem to get enough of it.

More Clint Eastwood please!





I'm so glad I finally watched this. It's the perfect culmination of everything western (even though it was technically made in Italy, I believe).

Because I am a dork, I took notes as I watched Clint chewing on his cigar, staring down the length of his rifle. Here are the notes I took:

-covered wagons
-dusty/windy
-reward signs
-aloe vera?
-water well
-where do they get wood for buildings?
-short doorways
-sweaty looking
-hats!
-bullet belts/gun holsters
-bags of money
-oil lamps
-lots of rock formations and gravel
-cigars/pipes
-spurs
-rough lips
-mustaches, but no beards
-Clint's eyes are SO green!
-duster jacket
-wooden canteens
-SO thirsty!
-no stables
-Clint plays with kittens!

Yeah. So some of those observations are silly (it's a really long movie, folks), but I feel like I have an advantage now that I've watched it. Descriptions of the towns will be that much better.


This showdown is the best I've ever seen.



Also, it has one of the most recognizable themes ever!



Okay, all this Clint talk is making James jealous, so I think I shall wrap this up.

Have a good Monday!

9 comments:

Jonathon Arntson said...

It is a great movie and I am glad you got so much out of it!

Sarah said...

Congratulations on finishing your draft! That's so great. And I appreciate the Clint pics :)

And I prefer to think of notetaking as useful and intelligent instead of dorky :) (Seriously, unless one possesses a supersonic memory there's no way to remember everything that made one curious, intrigued, inspired.)

Congratulations as well on having your pic of the Rialto included in a travel map :)

Dara said...

I've never actually watched a Western before. Maybe I have but I really can't remember...

It's great that you were able to gain so much from it though. I've tried to take notes during Memoirs of a Geisha for my books, but then I remember that that movie is set more than a hundred years after mine and it's focused on geisha, which really didn't exist in my small mountain village :P

Lisa and Laura said...

Great idea! I love doing research, especially when it involves watching TV. I was laughing at your list too. Good luck with edits!

Sarah said...

Love your list! Clint Eastwood *is* dreamy.

How's the editing going?

OrRyanGosling gets off for lunch in five minutes and he said to tell James that he BETTER not be smoking by OrRyanGosling's car again. Some threats may have followed, but I'm much too ladylike to repeat them. ;)

JenE said...

Congrats on finishing your first draft!!

May I recommend John Wayne for your next western? He's the standard that all others are measured by. Rio Bravo is always a good choice. (I think that one also has Dean Martin in it.)

Mariah Irvin said...

Jonathon: I'm surprised that I loved it so much. Westerns aren't normally my cup of tea.

Sarah: Isn't Clint amazing? In 1966, that is!

Dara: The movie takes place during the civil war, which is 60-70 years after my book, but it was still helpful.

LiLa: Thanks!

Sarah: I just emailed you... and James is totally ticked that OrRyanGosling would accuse him of such a thing.

JenE: Thanks for the recommendations!

Elle Strauss said...

I didn't know you were writing a western themed novel. My current wip is ww2, so there's no shortage of movie material there. I find seeing the setting and atmosphere really helpful. I just watched Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I learned more on how the regime worked to indoctrinate the young.

Cheers to you as you tackle revisions!

Melissa said...

WooHoo!!! Congrats on finishing the first draft! Major accomplishment:) And by the way, I don't think it's weird to take notes during a movie or t.v. show. I do it too!

Have you ever seen Tombstone? That's my all-time favorite western. It stars Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer, and I have to say Val (as Doc Holiday) steals the whole movie. My favorite line from him is when he drawls out "I'll be your huckeberry." Love it!