Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Hope

Today in my Media Writing class we discussed how to pitch a screenplay. The whole time, all I could think about was how similar it was to query for a book (not that I've begun querying yet).

Our professor showed us a documentary about struggling writers living in LA, just praying that they would make it big someday. My heart went out to all of them, no matter how absurd they were.

And I'm telling you, some of them (and their pitches) were completely absurd.

The thing none of my classmates could seem to understand was how none of the writers gave up. After being rejected time and time again, they would dust themselves off and trek onward, determined their screenplay was the best ever written.

I don't know if any of them ever had their movies produced, but I want to believe that they did. I need to have hope that I can be as relentlessly obsessed as they were.

I need to believe that I won't give up.

6 comments:

Jonathon Arntson said...

You won't give up, because you can't!

You have to succeed for the writers that are younger than you.
You have to succeed for the people that love your blog and cannot wait to see your writing
You have to succeed for determination's sake

Most of all, you have to succeed for you.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Wow. Um...what Jonathon said! :-)

Kimberly Franklin said...

I second (or would it be third?) Jon's statement.

: )

inthewritemind said...

Yeah, so Jonathan pretty much speaks for all of us :P

Just keep telling yourself that you won't give up. :)

Brigitte said...

I'd like to add to Johnathan's comment and say
Defy gravity. (:

Mariah Irvin said...

Thank you all!