Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Things James Cameron Taught Me

Okay, so it's the thing that James Cameron taught me, but that doesn't make as good a title.

I haven't seen the movie "Avatar" yet, but this video shows how much work went into the film.



James Cameron taught me patience. He came up with the idea for this film in 1996. He knew it was a strong concept, but it wouldn't be made in the best way possible unless he waited for the technology to catch up.

Sometimes I feel like I'm in a hurry to get ahead. I usually sound like this:

"Finish this draft, then edit, then beta, then write a query, then edit again, then beta again..."

What's my rush? If I'm writing a good story, it will only get stronger with time.

Does anybody else feel like they're rushing to the finish line without enjoying the ride?

Also, check out Jackson Pearce's vlog chock-full of writerly advice if you haven't already.

Speaking of vlogs, I think I'll be posting my singing one tomorrow if all goes well (meaning if my roommate is out of the room).

Now that I think about it, James Cameron also taught me something else: ships are hawt!




Except for when they sink, of course.


Question: Who thought of this? It's terrible!

6 comments:

inthewritemind said...

I need to be patient too. Patience however is not a virtue I have and will probably be something I struggle with here on this earthly realm.

I've seen those Titanic slides in person...o_O It's a little odd to watch children racing to slide down it with smiles on their faces when the real thing was definitely no laughing matter.

Elle Strauss said...

patience is a virtue. Thanks for reminding me. Mine has run scarily thin as of late.

Sarah said...

James Cameron is a genius. I can't wait to see Avatar but, oh my, I love Titanic! Yeah I know some find the dialogue cheesy, and the story depressing, but I don't care. It's still the epicest (which is a real word, in case you were wondering) movie ever!

And patience is definitely a virtue, one I need more of.

Melissa said...

That is an excellent lesson in patience. I need to remember this. Thanks for sharing:)

Lisa and Laura said...

Thanks for reminding us to be patient. Why is it so hard? In publishing I always feel like it's a race against the clock and yet it is one of the slowest moving industries! But you're right, a good idea will be a good idea this year, next year and for years to come! We need to slooooow down.

Hayley said...

Patience is a virtue that I struggle with, all the time. I feel like I'm rushing all the time too, but posts like your always seem to pop up just when I need them and remind me to stop and smell the roses.

Can't wait to see the singing blog, oh and I love the last thing James Cameron taught you, it is so true. That may be my favorite lesson of all.