Monday, January 4, 2010

Things to Come...

As of tomorrow at 8:30 A.M., my Christmas break is over.

A moment of mourning might be necessary.

I announce this not only because I plan on returning to my normal blogging schedule, but because I'm terribly behind in my book. Yes, I reached 50,000 words during NaNo, but I've been taking a break from actually finishing the darn thing. It must be finished!

I've come up with a schedule for writing that I fully intend to follow.

-Finish book sometime this week.
-Begin editing like crazy.
-Beta during February (stay tuned people!).
-Edit again in March with beta critiques in mind.
-Write a butt-kickingly-awesome query in April and finally try to sell a book!

Whew. Is it getting hot in here? *fans self* There's a lot of work ahead of me and not much time, but the way I see it, if I could *finish* a book in one month, why shouldn't I keep up the pace, especially since it seemed to work for me?

If I don't announce the completion of my book by next Monday, you have full permission to shame me in all manner of public and embarrassing ways.

Also coming this week are the contest-winning vlog and poem I promised!

Composing a song is harder than it sounds, guys.


5 comments:

inthewritemind said...

You can do it!

Also, I have been a major slacker too in finishing my book. Not sure if I can finish by the end of this week as I think there's probably a good 20K left, but I need to get farther than I am.

I think I keep getting hung up on how crappy my draft is but then I have to remind mysself it's supposed to be that way.

I'm somewhat jealous of you though--even if I finish and edit this draft like crazy, I have a load of research and fact-checking to do for mine. I'm hoping by summer I'll be able to start focusing on composing a query.

Sarah said...

Good luck! You can do it!

I can't wait to see the vlog and hear the song. You're going to sing it, right?

Anita Saxena said...

Best of luck!

Hayley said...

I'm a massive slacker too, except you're way farther along with Janes Air than I am with my WIP. But I'm sure you can do it! We have faith in you Mariah! And you're right, a period of mourning for Christmas break is very much necessary.

Mariah Irvin said...

inthewritemind: I have a lot of researching too! Hope yours goes well!

Sarah: Yes, yes I am. It shall be all kinds of embarrassing.

Anita: Thanks!

Hayley: Thanks for mourning with me!