Thursday, February 11, 2010

This Is How We Do It!

No, I didn't steal that title from a Montell Jordan song. *cough*

Don't judge me.

Anyways, last week I posted a book trailer for Jane's Air (which I've re-posted below for the sake of this post), and a few people asked if I could share how I made it.



Um, does that mean I'm giving advice? *panics*



Okay, I'm better now.

Now I will instruct you on how to make your very own book trailer! Yay! Pay close attention, folks, I talk fast.

1) Sign up on One True Media. It makes everything SO much easier, trust me. I mean, not that I've tried any other way.

2) Do you have an idea of how long you want it to be? I kept mine around a minute and a half. Text slides take up more time than you would initially expect.

3) Speaking of text, do you have a brief synopsis of your book? You'll need something catchy and suspenseful, something that gets your viewers to ask questions.

4) Pictures! Do you already have pictures? I had to look up some online (which was more difficult than I thought it would be). If you can't Google Image them, try using Photobucket or Flikr (you'll need to give credit for the latter).

5) Music! The awesome thing about One True Media is you can choose music they own or upload your own. I used their music because I felt like it fit with the theme I was going for- heartache.

Voila! You have a book trailer!

I hope this was helpful! If anyone has any questions, or even wants help with their trailer, feel free to ask.

7 comments:

Jonathon Arntson said...

UGH. I am going to have that stuck in my head ALLLLLLL day. I hope you feel ashamed.

Thanks for the LD on making a book trailer, the idea totally intimidates me, I'll stick with what I do, check out my blog for details.

inthewritemind said...

I'm loving the Ben picture :)

Anyway I may try using their site for my next trailer. I've made one using Windows Movie Maker. Finding the images took FOREVER. If I make another trailer for my other WiP I have a feeling it's gonna take much longer...

I posted it on YouTube during NaNo and it's somewhere on my blog...I think?

Anyway thanks for posting this!

Kimberly Franklin said...

Lol! Montel Jordan. OMG. Love that song!

Jen said...

Haha I'm with Kimberly, love that song!!! Oldie but a goodie!

Awesome trailer... I might have to start one, just to try it out... hmmm all these ideas are coming to mind!

Melissa said...

I'm nowhere ready to make a book trailer. But I'll remember your post for when I am ready to tackle one. Thanks for sharing how you did yours!

Lisa and Laura said...

Love the trailer and advice. Can't wait to try this!

Carrie Harris said...

Fabulous advice, chica!

Oh, and you should read my blog. I mean, everyone should read it, but you in particular should go and read. :)