Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Dreams

This post has to do with the dreams we as writers have, rather than dreams characters have (that's a whole 'nother post).

nataliedee.com
nataliedee.com

Thank you for sharing your aspirations, coconuts, but the dreams I'm referring to are those we have when we sleep.

I have dreams every night. There's honestly no stopping them (trust me, I've tried), so I just go with it now.

Some of you may remember this: the idea for Jane's Air came to me in a dream. Otherwise, I seriously doubt I would be writing a Western YA right now. I had the dream while writing my last book, The Not-So Meet Cute, at a time I was positively stumped. Then came shiny, wonderful new idea. It took all my self control not to give into Jane's Air and in the end I'm glad that I waited to write it.

But now, as I've been working on Jane's Air, I keep dreaming situations that would make awesome books. It's torture, I tell you! Does anybody else have this problem?

When we are little, we learn that dreams are movies that play in our heads when we sleep. This seems to be an accurate description of the dreams I've been having: they are long and involved and characters are as real to me as the people I see every day. I often wake up more exhausted than when I went to sleep, completely attached to the characters and the conflict they are facing.

Gosh, I'm starting to sound like a crazy person.

I'm thinking of starting a dream journal so I can remember all the dreams I've been having. From what I've been able to write down so far, I already have three book ideas if I need to step away from Jane's Air for a little while.

Not that I'm stepping away from it or anything. Actually, very, very much the opposite, but I'll talk about that tomorrow.

Okay, this post turned very rambly very fast. I think I've made a new record.

So does anybody else have crazy intense dreams like me? Please say yes.

6 comments:

Jonathon Arntson said...

Never have I ever had super bizarre crazy, slightly enjoyable, yet disturbing dreams.


OMG, my word verification is exfooky...beat that!

JenE said...

I have had a few doozies in my time.

I have dreamed about my father getting shot - which in real life he didn't. I have dreamed about a trip to South America, but I don't know anyone that has been to SA. I have had several dreams of tornadoes. I live in Oklahoma, so that explains a lot.

But, really, it's rare that I can remember my dreams anymore. Maybe my sleep clock is messed up. I wish I could remember them, though.

My veri word? fangs :)

Jen said...

I have had plenty of weird disturbing dreams that the minute I wake up I must write down, it's how I came about The Collector, a man who tortures his prey and we kills them hangs a picture on a tree, and then Finding Me a girl who is on the verge of dying and her body lies in a river and her spirit must save herself... yes I know it sounds mess *thats because it still is* but I am with you!!!

inthewritemind said...

I've had some crazy involved dreams before. I don't get them every night--maybe once or twice a week, and there's only been one or two that I've had to create a little story file on my computer for.

But a lot of them are involved, complete with people I've never seen before and complex stories. Sometimes the stories make no sense but I'll be affected by them the rest of the day.

My husband thinks I'm weird though, having dreams where it's not actually "me" in them.

Hayley said...

Oh my gosh yes! I have vivid dreams like that all the time! But more often than not, I wake up unable to remember some of the more specific details of the dream and just have this awful feeling of longing like a part of me is missing because I can't remember. And I keep my journal nearby too...

The ones that I tend to remember tend to involve those I love. I actually woke up once believeing one of my friends had died. That's how vivid it was. Not cool.

Kate said...

I often find myself dreaming about my WIP. That makes writing in the am a lot easier.