Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Scarlett will be happy to know she gets her own post

Well what do ya know, this is my 250th post!

Not that 250 is terribly exciting. I just thought I would announce it because I like announcing things.

Anywho, I promised I would post something related to my WiP, Jane's Air today.

Hmm...

*looks around*

Aha! Here is a little sketch I have of Scarlett, Jane's (MC) friend. I had to take a photo of it on my webcam because my stupid scanner isn't working. Her head isn't really that big looking on top; it's the angle I was holding it at.




The pen smudges are authentic!

Scarlett is the only saloon girl working at the saloon in Silver Creek when Jane gets a job there. She's fifteen, blonde, and pretty quick-tempered. She has moments were she can be endearing, though.

Now I shall post a snippet. This is when Jane first meets Scarlett; Jane has had a loooong day (to say the least) and she meets Scarlett in all her perky glory. Sorry it's such a short snippet, I've been doing a lot of revising lately.



As they walked inside, Jane could see a small bedroom, as well as a petite blonde girl. She sat on the bed, but stood up as soon as her guests entered.

“You must be Jane,” the girl spoke with high-pitched giddiness, curtseying. “I’m Scarlett.”

“Nice to meet you, Scarlett,” Jane returned the gesture. Meanwhile, Mrs. Slate rummaged through one of Scarlett’s trunks searching for a dress acceptable for Jane to wear.

Scarlett sat back down on her bed. “I think we’ll get along famously, don’t you?” Jane nodded with a tiny smile. “How old are you? I’m fifteen. I reckon we could be like sisters.”

“I’m almost eighteen,” Jane replied to the overeager girl, not moving from her place near the entrance.

Mrs. Slate emerged from the trunk victorious, holding a deep red dress. “This should look nice on you,” she handed it to Jane, whose arm hurt under the dress’s ample weight. “It’ll do fer now, ‘til we can make you a new costume.”

Jane’s mouth fell open at the mention of a costume, but Scarlett bounced on the bed after hearing such good news. “Ooh! New costumes! One for me too, mama, so we can match?”

“Sure thing, sweetie,” Mrs. Slate caressed her daughter’s long flaxen hair. They looked so dissimilar, Scarlett with her lanky frame and blonde hair, and Mrs. Slate a stocky, past middle aged woman with a graying bun, it was no surprise that she would dote on her beautiful daughter. “Well, are you going to put it on?” the cranky woman urged her.

“Yes, but I don’t have a slip to wear underneath,” Jane admit. There had no point of wearing one when she ran away from home; plus, it wouldn’t have tucked into her trousers.
Mrs. Slate sighed and went back to the trunk. Jane was left to hold Scarlett’s attention.

“Why are you dressed so peculiar, Jane?” a curious smile stretched across her lips. “Were you off on an adventure, like the ones I read in my books?”

Jane, still worn from the day, finally sat on the bed next to her new “sister” and engaged in conversation. “I’d hardly call it an adventure. What books do you speak of?”

Scarlett stood up to cross the room where there was a tiny table and brought back two thin paperbacks. “These here stories are adventures,” she handed them to Jane for her perusal. “I never have adventures.”



Ta da!

Have a good day, everyone!

5 comments:

Jonathon Arntson said...

250!! I am only at 60, which I feel uber excited about. I think you're cool to celebrate that.

Thanks for the snippet.

Jen said...

Celebrate away!!! 250 is amazing!! How cool! I should check to see how many I am at but when I reached 50 I was ecstatic! LOL

Awesome snippet! I love your idea for the story!

Christine Danek said...

Wahoo 250 posts--Wow! you go girl! I love your story and can't wait to read more :)BTW --You mention great music choices on my blog ;)

Melissa said...

Lol, at the rate I post it'll take me a few years to get 250 posts! Congrats for reaching yours:)

Awesome teaser!

Hayley said...

Congrats on the 250!!!! And also I have to say, Scarlet seems extra spunky, I hope Jane knows how to deal with that kind of spunkiness. Also I have an award for you over at my blog, which I think (though when I awarded it to you, I didn't know) should go well with the 250th post celebration.