Wednesday, March 31, 2010

What's Up, Blogosphere?

Hello blogger-friends! I've been on quite a long hiatus, haven't I? A few things have happened since I last posted. Let's make a list!

1) First, I must say how great it was to read everyone's responses to my Gone With the Wind post! I really loved the book, and could've talked about it longer than I did. Maybe some other time.

2) I was separated from my laptop over my Spring Break. It had been broken for awhile (it wouldn't close) and I finally sent it all the way to San Diego to be fixed. We didn't see each other for A WEEK. I missed him so much *sob*

3) The Sequel has been cooperating (somewhat). August and Jane are as fantastic as I remember them, not that we've been parted for long. It's just nice to see them doing something different after reading the same scenes over and over. But, sadly, I must put The Sequel aside for a little bit while....

4) I tear the crap out of Jane's Air. Dude, my book totally SUCKS right now. I'm not saying this because I'm digging for compliments, but because it's the truth. A got a critique over break that really opened my eyes to it's suckage. I was actually told to trash it and move on.

5) I'm not gonna trash it. I'm a stubborn person.



Anywho, what's new with you? Yes, you! Tell me everything.

5 comments:

inthewritemind said...

Who told you to trash it? I firmly believe nothing is ever bad enough to "trash." You may need to overhaul some of it but that doesn't mean it's completely sucky.

Anyway, keep being stubborn! I think it's a great story you've got, at least from the excerpts I've read.

What's new with me? Nothing much...there's some family issues going on that's been taking up most of my emotional time, but it's about as resolved as it's going to get now. :sighs: Oh and I applied to be on a TV show :P Not a well known one, but one I really, really, REALLY want to be on, if only for my family's sake.

Melissa said...

Glad that you're back Mariah!

Ooh, that must have been tough, being seperated from your computer for a week, but at least he's working now and that's what is important. And someone told you to trash Jane's Air? Harsh! Hasn't that person ever heard of constructive criticism? But I'm glad that you're going to revise it instead of listening to that person. Good luck with the revisions:)

Mariah Irvin said...

Thanks for the support you guys. The critiquer never told me to "trash it" exactly, but did say that I should either start a new project or completely restart what I have now. It was a really good critique; I just wasn't ready to hear it yet.

Courtney Barr - The Southern Princess said...

Okay um do we need to all gang up on this critiquer!? ;o)

Seriously though, I do hope they worded it carefully - being someone who loves her characters I would not handle it well if told to leave my story behind. I can understand re-writing, fleshing some things out, but to just side mark it forever...no. I could put it down and work on something new then be able to float back, but so long as the characters are walking around my head...well lets just say my stubborn MC would be screaming my ear off in my dreams! lol

If you ever want another CP just let me know!

SO glad you are back. I have missed you!

Visit My Kingdom Anytime

Jonathon Arntson said...

All writers are stubborn, it's a prereq. You, my dear, are not the only one that sucks in the beginning because sucking at first happens to be another writerly prereq.

Word Ver: pregpmfo...a new chatting acronym made famous by Seth Rogan in 2012?