Monday, April 26, 2010

I'm back and I have answers!

Oh, blogosphere, you are soooooooooooooooo pretty.

I've missed blogging during my hiatus, but sometimes taking a break from something reminds you of why you love it, right?

Anyways, before I left for a week or so of craziness, I asked you guys to ask me questions. There are only a few to answer, but answer I will!



inthewritemind asks: What's your favorite Disney movie?

This is a really difficult question! I don't know if I can pick just one!

Cartoon-wise, I've always loved "Aladdin" and "Mulan" most. But I also hold "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Prince Caspian" close to my heart.

C. Michael Fontes asks: What are the three best books you have read in the past year?

Another difficult question (you guys are too good at this)! When you say in the past year, I assume you mean from today, April 26, 2010, to April 26, 2009. Goodness, I've read so many books during that time, some that I consider to be my favorites.

Alright, alright, I'll pick three.

First, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. This book was good. It's YA, but I made my dad read it because I loved it so much and now it's one of his favorites, too.

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. This book and I have a love/hate relationship. A lot of the story frustrated me, but the fact that I couldn't stop talking about it as I was reading it definitely gives it high points.

Last is a three-way tie between Shiver, Graceling, and The Hunger Games (I'm cheating). All YA, all amazing, all considered my favorites.

R. Garrett Wilson asked: Which book world would you love to find yourself transported to and why? Which world would you be most afraid of finding yourself trapped in and why?


Since I just mentioned The Hunger Games, I'm gonna say that I wouldn't want to live there. Poor Katniss has to kill other kids because of her screwed up government! Great book, but not somewhere I would choose to live.

I think I would want to be transported to the world in Uglies. This is another dystopian world, but the technology and mannerisms fascinate me.

Hayley has three questions: First, because college has been on my mind a lot recently and you're there balancing writing/school/work, my question is how do you manage it? Because I'm worried about balance my world is off kilter enough so how have you managed it?


It's hard for me to give you an exact formula for maintaining balance. Everybody is different. What I choose to spend time on is way different from my roommate's, for example. For now, the best advice I can give you is not to worry about it. Yes, easier said than done. But seriously, enjoy the rest of high school and don't stress about college. It's coming soon enough and you'll figure things out as they come. That's not to promote procrastination or anything, just to remind you that you have time to worry about these things later on :)

Second, why was your first icon a cupcake (yes I remember that ^_^)?

Aww, I miss that cupcake.



When I first started blogging, I didn't want my face to be all over the internet (I didn't have a Facebook or Twitter yet). So I thought to myself "If you aren't going to use a picture of yourself, what will you use?" I thought about things I like... until I thought about pink cupcakes.

Honestly.

After I Googled "pink cupcake" and found my little anthropomorphic cupcake, it seemed to fit my personality, so I used it.


Third, journalism is SO different from fiction how do you swap so easily between the two?

Well, there are different types of journalism. Feature writing, for example, is probably the closest to fiction. No, feature writing isn't fiction, but it employs more personal style than straight up reporting. I enjoy writing features about people because it feels like I'm telling a story. I've written opinion and news, too, and it's about presenting facts. As long as you have strong writing skills, journalism shouldn't be too big of a stretch from fiction writing.



That concludes my Q&A session! Tomorrow, I'll tell you all about my hiatus (un-exciting as it was).

Ah, it's good to be back.

6 comments:

inthewritemind said...

Glad you're back!

You gave me a bit of a flashback to college when you talked about how you maintain balance. Also when you talked about journalism...flashback to my news writing classes :)

JEM said...

Welcome back! I SOBBED at the end of The Book Thief. Like, ugly heaving breaths full of tears. It was amazing.

I also feel the same way about Gone With the Wind. I read it several years ago, but I developed a morbid fascination with it. I couldn't stop reading (seriously, I was like a crack fiend), but it kind of made me sick the whole time. That's right, books are my crack.

C. Michael Fontes said...

Oh Hunger Games! Be still, my beating heart! That is my fav for the past year (although, I couldn't choose between Hunger Games or Catching Fire, so don't even make me try).

I will have to look in to your #1 pick, though. Looks interesting.

Cynthia Reese said...

GWTW is considered required reading for any southerner. I still remember a day I was sick, at home, in bed, and not in middle school, reading it for the first time.

I got to the part post-war, where everyone was so hungry and there wasn't enough food. My mom came in my room and said, "What do you want for lunch?"

It was so jarring to think that we actually had food!

Kimberly Franklin said...

Great answers! I love Pirates of the Caribbean and The Hunger Games!!

Blogging breaks are necessary sometimes, but it's always nice to return. :)

Melissa said...

Lol, I remember the pink cucake! So cute:)

I'm a huge Hunger Games and Catching Fire fan, but I would NOT want to live in that world, either.