Thursday, April 29, 2010

Revisions... Now With Photos!

Over my self-imposed hiatus last week, I did A LOT of revising of my WiP, Jane's Air. It's already sounding loads better than it did before.

A little while ago I printed the whole thing out and put it into an awesome binder:



Yes. That is an octopus playing the piano.

It's incredibly helpful that the words are tangible; I can see and touch them, which makes my editing better (uh, does that make sense at all?).

Most of my notes say something like this:




That's something I have to work a lot on. My book is omniscient narrator, so I have the bad habit of not fully explaining how my characters feel. I'm working on it!!!

Anywho, I think I'll be needing new betas/CPs soon (I mean it this time!)... be on the lookout for a post with more details if you think you're interested.

Back to wrestling my WiP... see ya later!

6 comments:

JEM said...

I'm hoping the octopus playing piano has a MAJOR role in the story.

I always hesitate to print stuff out because I can't easily move things around. I need one of those boards like they have in Minority Report, where I can put the words up on the screen but then touch them and drag big chunks around. Come on, technology, get it together!

inthewritemind said...

I'll be on the look out for your call for betas :) When mine is done, I shall be putting forth the call too (although that may be another few weeks).

I like printing stuff out too because of the same reason. I don't know why but I find my errors easier when they're printed out rather than the computer screen. No clue why.

Cynthia Reese said...

What a cute octopus! Good luck with the editing and revising!

Wendy Sparrow said...

That is a totally cute octopus. I print my stuff out on LULU in a private run of two or three books to do my revisions. It's so much easier to spot typos in print sometimes.

Myrna Foster said...

Did you draw the octopus playing the piano? It is totally adorable. And what does it have to do with the story? This is the western romance you've been working on, isn't it?

I know what you mean about revising on paper. I'm almost to that stage with mine.

Mariah Irvin said...

Haha, sorry to be misleading, guys. There is no piano playing octopus in my book. It's just a cute drawing I found on the internet and put on the cover of my binder to make me smile. I also have one of a squirrel playing the guitar.