Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Betas?

First, I'd like to announce that I was interviewed over at Rachel Simon's blog, and it will be posted today (I think). Go check it out!


*ahem*

I would like to announce that Draft 4 of Jane's Air is finally complete! Huzzah! Let the townsfolk rejoice!

And, although it is still far from perfection, I'm looking for betas to read it and give me feedback.



Or, if you want to be called a critique partner or the Supreme Ruler of the Universe, I guess I could call you that, too.

Jane's Air is a YA historical fiction finished at roughly 57,000 words. Well, I think it's a historical fiction. It's not paranormal, or romance, or dystopian... lit maybe? *shrug*

Anywho, here's the hook I'm working with right now: "When Jane Hawkes accidentally kills an Indian, she thinks it will bring her death as well."

I must warn you (um, potential betas) that some of the material is darker than the way I write on my blog. Like murder and almost-rape darker. But, these things don't fill the pages of my book. It's also a romance. I just want to warn you now, so I don't get ticked off emails.

I'm looking for betas that (preferably) have experience in beta-ing, and maybe are writing a YA book of their own. I'd be happy to read anything in return. And, if you aren't interested in reading my book, maybe you could point me in the direction of a good crit group. Kewl?

If you're interested, leave me a comment. If you want to be a beta but I don't respond to your offer, PLEASE don't take it personally.

8 comments:

Jonathon Arntson said...

If I weren't betrothed to six others, I would totally take JANE'S AIR on, consider me for the next round? Do you follow Casey McCormick over at Literary Rambles? She does classifieds posts and may be willing to feature you and she has like ten million followers. Okay, maybe like three hundred, but my point is that you will reach hundreds of people that could be a great fit. We know how important the right fit is. Tell her I sent you.

inthewritemind said...

I have some experience beta-ing, although it's been about a year since I've done it. But I'm willing to be a beta for you if you'd like! If not, that's fine too :) Just let me know!

Sara McClung ♥ said...

Aw, I'm with Jon--if I didn't already have four, I would totally volunteer. But GOOD LUCK! Because, I swear good betas make the world go round =) AND congratulations on finishing draft 4!! What an awesome feeling!

Shannon Whitney Messenger said...

Sorry. I wish I could, but I am SWAMPED. :( Whoever you end up with will be in for a very good read though--I have no doubt of that.

Brigitte said...

sounds riveting! I'd do it if i wasn't so busy with school finishing D:
best of luck and congrats on such awesome progress!
xoxox
looking-glass-fables.blogspot.com

Myrna Foster said...

I gave you an award, if you want it. I didn't see it in your sidebar.

I'm tempted to offer myself as a CP, but I already have a CP manuscript to get through (not to mention my own). Good luck!

Jonathon Arntson said...

I mentioned your search for betas to Casey and she said she loves doing classifieds! Usually she lets you pick the info you want to supply, but check out some of her previous posts and her email is there too: http://caseylmccormick.blogspot.com/search/label/Wanted%20Ads

Hayley said...

I'll look at it if you like. I've only beta-d(is that how you write it?) once before, but I do have a great critique group. The only thing is I wouldn't be able to look at it until June because of school.