Monday, May 3, 2010

New Ideas

I've just realized the other day that about this time last year I had my first dream about my WIP, Jane's Air. My book is a year old! Well, I didn't write it until NaNoWriMo, but still.

I've mentioned a couple of times that I've gotten book ideas from dreams, and I've gotten many more since Jane's Air. In fact, just this past week I found myself looking for a notepad in the middle of the night because I had a new idea. This new idea is out of my realm of knowledge, but it keeps presenting itself to me, so maybe someday in the future it will be something. Not now though.

Some of you suffer from SNI syndrome- Shiny New Idea- and leave current projects for newer, shinier things. Luckily, this hasn't happened to me yet, and I'm not about to let it happen. When I got my idea for Jane's Air, as some of you may recall, I was working on The Not-So Meet Cute. I almost fell victim to SNI syndrome, until I found this.

Meg Cabot is a genius, no?

So SNI will have to wait... I have some other writing to do. Happy Birthday, Jane's Air. It's been a pleasure to know you.

10 comments:

Noelle Nolan said...

I do suffer from SNI syndrome. I dropped my script, two novels, and one children's book for my newest novel idea. This new idea has taken off with much more progress than any of the others, so I don't feel bad about abandoning them.

I wish you best of luck on your writing.

R. Garrett Wilson said...

I don't suffer from SNI, yet. However, I do get new ideas from dreams all the time - or at least all the time in fall and winter, great time of year. When I get a new idea (normally from dreams or day dreams), I spend anywhere from an hour to a few days writing down what I have seen. I want to make sure I remember the places I've been and the characters I've met. Then I go back to what I was working on. Spring and summer are nice too; I get to write without as many of these little interruptions.

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

Getting ideas from your dreams is the best! Lucky you! My novel also came from a dream and certain elements from dreams I was having around the time, but its been years. Id love to have another dream. So cool!

inthewritemind said...

I can sometimes suffer from SNI. Last year, about this time, I dropped Scarlet Daughter for Lady of the Snow . Of course I'm focusing back on the first one now, but I do have another project to go back to once Scarlet is in query process :)

C. Michael Fontes said...

Whenever I get a new idea (which seems to be at LEAST weekly), I jot down my thoughts in a word doc and save them in my "new ideas" folder. I figure whenever I finish my current project, I can go look into my virtual treasure trove, and select the best for my next project.

JEM said...

My SNI strikes at the revision stage, mainly because revision sucks but also because I feel like I need to get more words/manuscripts under my belt before I can truly consider myself a writer.

Sarah said...

I don't often suffer from SNI syndrome. In fact, don't tell anyone but sometimes I wish I *would*. I love feeling so inspired/excited for an idea that you're tempted to leave another. And obviously, I read Meg Cabot's post (as, you know, one does) so I know I can't ever leave current idea for SNI. BUT, just that feeling of "OMG, I want to write you right now!!!!" That's one of my favorite writerly feelings!

Jade said...

I have really bad SNI syndrome but I think that's because I have the attention span of a fly on a sugar high.

I wish I had cool dreams I could borrow story ideas from but my dreams are weird. Tim Burton-weird.

Hayley said...

SNI syndrome and I are like two peas in a pod, thankfully recently new medicine has helped me from relapsing (chocolate/caffeine I love you).

And Happy Birthday Jane's Air!!!!!!!

Jonathon Arntson said...

SNIS runs rampant through my veins and I applaud your self-control!