Friday, May 7, 2010

Resident Expert: Merlin

About a week ago, a friend of mine asked me a weird question:

"Do you like medieval things?"

Naturally, I proceeded with caution.

And then she introduced me to the BEST SHOW EVER.

Merlin.



It's a British TV show (I love you BBC!) that follows Merlin, as in King Arthur and Excalibur, when he was a young man.

Seriously. I am in love with this show. Thanks to the wonder that is the Internet, I'm almost done watching the second season.

So, what do I like about this show? Hmm. I think I can sum it up in three points.

1) Magic
2) Dragon
3) HAWT guys

Also, the history nerd in me is having a blast. True, the show is far from traditional Arthurian legend, but I think that makes it more interesting because I like when things are interpreted in different ways.

The basic plot of the show is this: Merlin is still a young guy and he travels to Camelot in search of a new life. He has the ability to use magic, but magic was outlawed in Camelot 20 years ago by King Uther (Arthur's father)(Arthur is still about the same age as Merlin) and if anyone catches him using magic he will be executed.

The Great Dragon tells Merlin that it is his job to protect Arthur because when Arthur is king magic will be restored to the realms and they will create a stronger kingdom. So, basically, Merlin saves Arthur's life every episode using magic but can't take credit. I get incredibly frustrated for Merlin, but I think that's one of the reasons I love the show. His character is so real, so accessible. He really reminds me of August from my WiP, Jane's Air.

Also melikes Colin Morgan!!!



*swoons over his wonderful Irish-ness*

My friend prefers Bradley James (who plays Arthur) and I guess he's okay too.



Anyways, you guys should definitely check out this show! I watched the first season on Hulu, and the second season is playing on SyFy channel on Fridays, I think (I've been watching online, so I'm not positive).

ONE WEEK UNTIL MY BIRTHDAY!!!

4 comments:

inthewritemind said...

I may have to check it out. I'm always looking for a good series!

C. Michael Fontes said...

I've been wondering about this show, but was afraid it would turn out cheesy, and I can't handle another cheesy show.

From your suggestion, I'll DVR it and give it a chance. I love magic, Dragon's and "Medieval things," so I hope I like it!

Margo Berendsen said...

Oh no - I am supposed to be writing! Not watching TV. But this sounds too cool to resist.

~Nicole Ducleroir~ said...

The BBC rocks!! And thanks for the heads up on Merlin -- it looks like a great show!

I left you an award on my blog today :)

Have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend!