Monday, June 28, 2010

In Which Mariah Meets Awesome Authors

Last Thursday I had the most incredible opportunity. I went to a nice little bookstore, Politics and Prose, in Washington, DC, and met John Green and David Levithan!!!

The coauthors of Will Grayson, Will Grayson were there to read from the book, answer questions, and sign books.

As some of you may remember, I absolutely love Will Grayson, Will Grayson, so seeing them was a dream come true!

The bookstore was crowded with crazy tweens screaming "OMGit'sJohnGreen!" (oh wait, that's me), but everyone there was super nice and it really felt like a community. Here's a picture of the crowd from the writer's table (as taken by John):



See? Crowded. Also, floor-sitting and 98-degrees-sweating. It was all worth it, though!

John and David were funny, thoughtful, and passionate as they answered questions, some of which were silly, and others were ones I would've asked myself. For example, one woman asked about both of their writing processes; John likes to write a lot and then cut it all out and rewrite later, whereas David tries to get it right the first time.

They also said some really interesting things about the book, but I don't want to give anything away for anyone who hasn't read it.

On to the photos!


David and John signing books.



Me (on the far right) waiting in line.



Talking to David and John! I couldn't manage to get my face in the photo, so you'll just have to believe that it's me.


Oh, and one last photo.



Gasp! That's a copy of Will Grayson, Will Grayson signed by John Green and David Levithan, and IT'S FOR YOU!!!

Well, assuming that you win it, that is.

That's right, it's contest time! Enter to win a signed copy of Will Grayson, Will Grayson!

Here be the rules:

Contestants will earn points, which is the number of times a contestant's name will be entered into the drawing. The winner will be randomly chosen from the drawing, so the more points a contestant has the better his/her chances of winning will be.

Here's how to get points:

-new follower (+1)
-old follower (+2)
-Tweet it (and use my name, @mariahirvin, at the end so I can track it) (+2)
-Blog post (and the link) (+5)
-Link in blog sidebar (+3)

Leave a comment with your number of points (be honest!) by Thursday, June 1st, at 8:00 PM Eastern, along with questions about the contest if you have them. Sorry, U.S. entries only because I'm too poor to ship outside the U.S.!

Good luck, everyone!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Oh lucky you! I've been wanting to read this one, so maybe this is my shot! I'm an "oldie", and I blogged here!

http://jmanni32.blogspot.com/2010/06/awesome-giveaway.html

JEM said...

That looks awesome, I can't believe you're actually giving it away!

Old follower: +2

Thanks for the contest!

sraasch said...

JEALOUS.

I saw John Green's vlog about that tour, and now imagining that YOU were in THAT CROWD makes me feel all 6-degrees-of-separation-ish.

YAY CONTEST.

Old Follower +2
Tweet +2
Total: 4

Jonathon Arntson said...

Not only am I an old follower, I am your third most loyal and I tweeted the contest with love.

4 points, please.

:P