Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My first attempt at a novel

Okay, here it is. Day 2 of embarrassing myself. It's all for posterity, really.

I'm pretty sure I was 12 when I started my first attempt at a novel, but I can't be absolutely positive because it isn't dated. Isn't it sad to think I was only 12 7 years ago and I can't remember? My poor brain is failing me.

So, this "novel" is titled "Story (novel, really) That's Unnamed". Yup. It's 42 composition notebook pages long, which I think is pretty good, considering how awful it was.

Here's a brief synopsis: Shon, a 13-year-old 8th grader, has a crush on this girl Natalia and they end up being partnered for a school project. Little does he know, his best friend and neighbor, Linda, likes him. Natalia pretends to go out with Shon to get a better grade on the project, and when Linda tries to warn him about her, he yells at Linda. Not-so surprisingly, Linda is right. Natalia is really going out with Shon's friend Max. Drama.

I remember how proud I was of my little "novel". Rereading it now, I can't help but laugh at it's predictability and downright cheesiness. I also wonder why I chose to write in a teenage boy's perspective, especially because I didn't know anything about teenage boys. This paragraph makes me laugh incredibly hard:

The boys discussed their classes, new video games, girls, and cars before lunch was over.

If you didn't laugh at that, I'm slightly concerned.

Later, Shon brags about Natalia to his friends, saying "I soooooo kissed her. More than once."

Crazily enough, my next two novel attempts were from the perspective of teenage boys as well. I wasn't ready for that, though. Recently, I've actually been brainstorming something new about a teenage boy. Maybe it will happen someday.

16 comments:

Davin Malasarn said...

What a great post! I know I started several novels when I was younger, but I don't have any copies of them anywhere anymore. I wish I did. Thanks a lot for posting some of it. Honestly, the plot idea doesn't sound bad at all. It's better than most of the stuff I end up writing!

Jonathon Arntson said...

I don't know what is so bad about that paragraph. Our lunch discussions were always ON new video games, girls, and cars.

Not!But it is charming you wrote that at twelve.

Dara said...

I still think it's awesome you wrote a novel at 12. Even if it wasn't all that great, it's the fact you got one completed at such a young age. Plus it probably gave you a little practice.

You were smart though and wrote them in composition books. My novel at that age was hand-written, mostly in pencil, on blank typing paper. Then there were some attempts at "editing" and those were in pen. :P

Heather Kelly said...

I remember my first novel at about that same age had lots of 'suddenlys' in it. "Suddenly, we moved to a new house. Suddenly, I couldn't ever see my best friend again!" Thanks for sharing!

Kari said...

It's brave to try to write a huge project like a novel--kudos to you!

Serenissima said...

Didn't some famous writer say you have to write a lot of &@#$ before you get to the good stuff? With this many novels under your belt already, you're waaaay ahead of the game.

BTW, what DO boys talk about at lunch anyway?

salarsenッ said...

I love your voice in the synopsis. Nicely done. ";-)

sarahmullengilbert said...

Thanks for having the courage to share this, Mariah! Do boys even talk at lunch, or do they just shovel entire pizzas into their mouths?

And I totally agree about Will Grayson, Will Grayson! *Guiness voice* Brilliant!

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Oh my goodness. That's fabulous!!! I love it, love it, love it!! Sounds like something I would've written as well at one point. Thanks for sharing that. Made me smile today.

sraasch said...

Boy perspectives are weird. Though the boy perspectives I usually write from tend to be the more sensitive, feminine-like boys, like artists or poets or such. They lines kind of blur then.

But boys TOTALLY talk about video games, cars, and girls. I've HEARD them. Proof.

Kelly said...

Wow! A novel at twelve. Impressive. I think boys tell fart jokes at age 12 while eating. And at age 39 at the dinner table. I have proof. ;)

Laura Pauling said...

I love reading stories written by 10-12 year olds. They are so creative! And they don't care what anyone thinks! Good luck this time around.

Anna W. Waggener said...

Mariah! I'm back online and it's time for catch-up! haha

I love that you're putting up work from when you were just starting out; I've yet to gather the courage for that.

Also, I love the title A Quiet Calling; it really is beautiful.

joven said...

hi, you have nice blog.. u can view also mine..http://akoniwares.blogspot.com

prashant said...

I don't know what is so bad about that paragraph.
Contextual Ad Network India

Christy said...

Hilarious! I once wrote a story about the Donner-Reed party who resorted to cannibalism. "She came in to see soup boiling on the fire. 'What's for dinner mom?'" I'll spare you, but believe me, it's downright scary! Hopefully my current protagonist won't resort to eating Uncle Jim!