Tuesday, June 8, 2010

WILL GRAYSON, WILL GRAYSON

About a week ago I read Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan and I it's definitely being added to the list of my favorite books of all time.



Here's a synopsis:

Will Grayson's best friend since fifth grade, nicknamed Tiny Cooper, is bigger than life in terms of his physical stature and his personality—the "world's largest person who is really, really gay." Tiny, while seeking the boy of his dreams, has been through the trauma of myriad short-lived romantic relationships and Will has supported him each time his heart is broken. Now, Tiny decides it's Will's turn. At first, Will resents Tiny's matchmaking efforts, but then an amazing coincidence that stems from it brings a new person into their lives. It's another teen named Will Grayson, who is sad and depressed, and captures Tiny's heart. While these and other relationships are connecting, intersecting, and eventually changing, Tiny writes and produces an autobiographical high school musical extravaganza that is really about life. On the night it premiers, everything comes full circle and further validates the presence of the Will Graysons. Based on the premises that "love is tied to truth" and "being friends, that's just something you are," this powerful, thought-provoking, funny, moving, and unique plot is irresistible. Told in alternating chapters from each Will Grayson's point of view (one in lower case, effectively individualizing identities), complete with honest language, interesting characters, and a heartfelt, gritty edge, this quirky yet down-to-earth collaboration by two master YA storytellers will keep readers turning pages.

I loved so many things about this book. First, that it was written by two AMAZING authors. John and David wrote alternating chapters, each as one of the Will Graysons, and it was still easy to tell which author was which if you've read any of their other work.

Second, holy crap the writing is sooooo good. So cohesive. So brilliant.

Third, on the grander scale of things, they are really able to boil a character down to what defines them and how that effects the way they see things. Sure, this is a goal of any writing, but the way they do this, especially John Green, is just so dang beautiful.

It's difficult for me to express how much I love this book, so I'm going to recommend you read this for yourself. Seriously, this is a book EVERYONE should read. It's a requirement for life, in my opinion.

7 comments:

Jonathon Arntson said...

Dasoloff! Yes, I loved it too.

Natalie said...

I've read so many great things about this one. I need to pick it up.

Melissa said...

I'm going to add it to my TBR pile;)

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Yes, yes, yes!!! LOVE IT. A groundbreaking book that's won me over and over and over.

Sarah said...

I finished it a couple weeks ago, and I agree-it's a fantastic book. If nothing else, it should be read for how it's written. You hit it on the nail when you mentioned that Green and Levithan boil the characters down to what defines them :)

JEM said...

Wow, if only these knew what a glowing review you gave them! I've seen this book around the hinterwebs, I think I'll have to check it out!

prashant said...

I've read so many great things about this one
Contextual Ad Network India