Monday, September 13, 2010

Classic Movies

When you read the phrase "Classic Movies", what comes to mind?

No right or wrong answer here, just curious.

There can be a couple of interpretations. For example, I think of "Gone with the Wind", "Casablanca", and "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly", just to name a few.

This could be because when I think of classic books, I think of books like Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, Great Expectations, and Crime and Punishment. Other classics may be books I happen to enjoy extremely well, but not necessarily "classic" in the strictest sense of the word (which is defined as of the first or highest quality).

Why am I babbling about all this, you wonder?

Well, I got to thinking this weekend as I was watching "Gone with the Wind", do people my age watch movies like this? Are we supposed to enjoy "old" movies? I mean, they're only about 70 years old. We read books older than that all the time, although not everyone enjoys doing so.

Basically, my main question is this: Will future generations watch "Gone with the Wind"?

Maybe my grandchildren will just wait until it's remade. Or maybe they'll have some strange technology that lets them watch movies on the inside of their eyelids. I have no idea.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi, my name is Sarah, and I'm a movie snob. I lovelovelove watching movies, but black and white? Anything older than 30, okay, 20 years ago? You have to pay me. Possibly tie me to my chair. And force-feed me Twizzlers.

FYI? Watching movies on the inside of one's eyelids? Brillig! Get on that, please ;)

Nicole Zoltack said...

I love GwtW. May possibly be my favorite movie of all time. (I'm 26) If they ever remake it, I will not watch it. No one can compare to Clark Gable.

Jimbo said...

@Sarah . . . some of the old black and white movies use light and shadow to convey moods more expertly than most of today's flicks with all their special effects. And most of them have tons of storyline and drama . . . much of my movie joy comes from movies with actors that are all dead, and publish dates way before my time.
My new favorite place is http://free-classic-movies.com