Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Poetry. Oh Noetry.

I'm in a Creative Writing class this semester and we've started out with writing poetry, otherwise known as that which I fail at.

Sure, I can appreciate poetry. I'll read it and analyze it all day long until the BenBarnes comes home (What?! You think I'm going to be waiting on a bunch of smelly cows?).

When I write it, however, it becomes a black hole of suckiness.

I'm over exaggerating, but not by much.

I think the big part of my struggle with poems is the length. Every. Single. Word. Counts. Yes, the same rule applies for all writing, but I feel more self-conscious about my word choice when they just dangle around on the page trying to hold multiple meanings.

*sigh*

Okay, whinyness over. It really is an excellent class and I can't wait until I get to write fiction. For now, I'll just pretend that Chris Martin of Coldplay is crooning my poetry like song lyrics.

6 comments:

Jonathon Arntson said...

I share your sentiments re:poetry, but I think your idea is great! When I am in a similar situation, Ben Gibbard will be my Chris Martin.

inthewritemind said...

Yep, I can't write poetry. Tried and failed epically at it. Of course my Creative Writing class was actually a waste of time (they had to find a substitute prof for the entire semester because the original prof overbooked himself).

My sister got the talent for writing poetry. It skipped me :P

Melissa said...

I'm not into poetry either. Hated having to study it in school. At least my teachers didn't make us write too much.

Patti said...

Can totally relate to the poetry thing. I think it's because there's too much white space around the words.

Sarah said...

Chris Martin *is* crooning your poetry like song lyrics. What?! Can't you hear it??

sraasch said...

"I'll read it and analyze it all day long until the BenBarnes comes home."

I love you. That is all.