Friday, November 12, 2010

Resident Expert: Doctor Who

Hello, hello! What a busy week it's been! Let's wind down with some RE Friday, shall we?

Today, the topic is my latest obsession: Doctor Who.




Doctor Who is a scifi show from BBC, aired in the UK. It follows the Doctor, the last of the Time Lords, who travels through time and space in his TARDIS (spaceship). The character has been played by eleven different actors since it began in 1963, but my favorite is David Tennant.




David Tennant is the tenth reincarnation of the Doctor (I'm only in the middle of the fourth season of the new series) and I love him to death. As the doctor, he's the epitome of everything that is amazing, awkward, funny, and lovable, not to mention extremely intelligent. Also, easy on the eyes, in my opinion (especially with his glasses):



Once I'm finished with this season, the eleventh doctor (Matt Smith) takes his place. You see, whenever the Doctor is about to die, he's able to regenerate his entire body, take on another form entirely. It's one of his alien/Time Lord trick-things.

Anywho, almost important as the Doctor are his companions. Here they are, seasons one through four:



On the left, Rose Tyler, from seasons one and two, who the Doctor fell in love with, but couldn't be with because she got trapped in a parallel universe (it's scifi, guys!). In the middle, Donna Noble from season four. They're just friends, and they announce it to everyone they meet, which I find hilarious. Last, Martha Jones, from season three, who fell in love with him but he couldn't love her back because he was still hung up on Rose.

And, if you're thinking that he only likes to travel through time and space with womenfolk, there's also occasionally Captain Jack Harkness, who also stars on the Doctor Who spinoff, Torchwood (which I've never seen, but probably will):




So yes, scifi. I thought I didn't like scifi, but Doctor Who proved me wrong. Long live the Doctor!

Have a good weekend, everyone, and good luck to my NaNo buddies!

4 comments:

JEM said...

I loooooove Doctor Who, great post!

Melissa said...

OMG, I am a huge Doctor Who fan! David Tennant is my absolute favorite, too. I boohooed when I saw the episode in which he regenerated:(

Cathy L. Jensen said...

Doctor Who is just such a brilliant show.

But every time I try to explain the concept of the show to new people they look at me kindda funny. Like, how can a show about an alien that travels trough time and space in a blue box possibly be good?

BUT IT IS!

I've been using songs from the soundtrack of the series to write to this nanowrimo. Good stuff.

Karli said...

Hi Mariah,

I read some of your blog a while ago (months) after reading your comments on other blogs. I came back because I randomly remembered the phrase "not-so meet-cute" and had to google it. So there you go. Great title.
Then I saw the Hamlet/David Tennant thing, and I had to know if you were a Doctor Who fan. I started watching over the summer, and I REALLY enjoy it.
This is completely random and out of the blue, but I thought I'd say it anyway. Happy Thanksgiving!

Karli