Monday, February 7, 2011

CHINA, PART ONE

Now that I'm somewhat settled back at school again, I shall commence my sharing!

I was in China for 22 days so right now I'm sitting at my computer and brain is saying "Holy BLEEP how will you even BEGIN to blog about this?"

(Later)

Okay, I've got a plan.* Let's go!

First, I should mention the flight from JFK to Beijing is 13 hours. I managed to read two books and get minimal sleep. Yay! (In parentheses news, Matched is a great book).

My first day in Beijing I got to see Tienanmen Square...



... the Temple of Heaven (a Daoist temple)...



... and the Forbidden City...



So, as far as first days in China go, I'd consider this a pretty great one. My mind was completely blown away (a feeling that still lingers even now) by everything from the history, to the architecture, to the people I saw. At the Temple of Heaven, for example, there was a park where people went to practice Tai Chi and play games. It was such a fun place and such a community place, which is what surprised me the most.

The next day I went to the 2008 Beijing Olympic Venues to see the Water Cube (swimming) and the Bird's Nest (track and field).







I really wanted to run around the track like Usain Bolt, but the track was covered with fake snow and transformed in to a children play area. And no, I didn't play in it (even though I wanted to).

The same day I also got to climb the Great Wall!

Here I am, victory-style:



It was a freezing, windy day (hence the multiple jackets) but I wouldn't have traded it for the world (nor the entire trip, for that matter).

I think I'm going to pause this until tomorrow... I promise I'll be back!





*My plan is to write/show photos of the highlights of the trip, probably for the rest of the week. I'm going to try to post more photos on my Flikr account sometime soon as well, so I'll keep ya'll updated on that front, too.

4 comments:

inthewritemind said...

Pretty awesome! Someday I hope to climb the Great Wall, although now it looks like it will happen when I'm old and retired :P

Thanks for posting the pics!

Jonathon Arntson said...

Sooooooooooo awesome, Mariah! Thanks for the pics and insights: "...a community place..."

Sara Raasch said...

So cool! Super duper jealous :) Glad you had a BLAST!!

Alexander said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.
online free play