Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Holding On and Letting Go

Lately, I've been battling with the novel I started during National Novel Writing Month last year, Half A Brother (the main word being STARTED... I made it to 50,000 but it's a stand alone fantasy and has to be waaaaay longer than that).

I'm stuck in a writing rut. Don't get me wrong, I love the story and the characters, but recently I can't get anything to click like it should, like it would if I'd done more planning before writing it.

So far as a writer, I've been one that won't let go of something once I've started it. It's been difficult for me to decide, but I know that I need to let go of Half a Brother for a little while... tearing it apart in frustration isn't doing either of us any good.

As soon as I made the conscious decision to move on, I was flooded with new ideas. It's been SO LONG since that's happened. You may call it a coincidence, but for me it reaffirms the part of me that wants to smother the book to death to just LET. IT. GO.

It's actually kind of sad to think about how this has been weighing me down lately, but I am excited to get back into edits of The Quiet Calling (and maybe start something new). Because TQC is THE ONE. I've known it since I started it. And Half a Brother hasn't lived up to that yet, no matter how much I want it to.

So, has anyone else faced a decision like this, or am I the only one that holds on to things a little too tightly?

5 comments:

inthewritemind said...

Yes. I had a book that I started way back in college (OK it wasn't *that* long ago, but still--about 6 years ago) that I desperately wanted to work...and it just wouldn't. I still have all the old files on my computer and jump drive and maybe someday I'll go back to it, but it will be drastically different.

Sometimes I wonder if I should do this with The Scarlet Daughter but I can't. I think much of my holding on with that one is because I know it's partially laziness that prevents me from finishing it--because there's just SO MUCH research I have to do to pull it off. So I can't let go of that one. Yet.

Cat Jensen said...

I think it's difficult to let go, because you can't help but somehow feel that you're actually just quitting

Trust me. You're not.

Sometimes we really do have to let go. And it doesn't mean we're quitters. It just means we've done all we could at the moment and have realised that it's time to move on.

But it's hard. Kudos to you for doing it :)

Sara McClung ♥ said...

I had something similar happen. I was halfway through a wip--and I loved it, but it wasn't... *sparkling* for me. I had this other story begging me to write it, so I paused the first wip and started the other. And I finished it yesterday :) Best decision I've made in a long time!

Plus, even if you let go of Half a Brother, it's like you said: "for a little while." It doesn't have to be permanent! Just wait for it to pull to you again!

Sara McClung ♥ said...

PS also, I have NO idea how I wasn't following you before this. Actually, I'm like 100% sure I was... :( stupid blogger.

Read my books; lose ten pounds! said...

I Love your blog. Im glad I found it.