Friday, March 18, 2011

Resident Expert: Firefly



Firefly is one of those WHY DID IT GET CANCELLED?!?!?! kind of shows.

I've only recently started watching it (the whole one season, *sob*) and I'm soooooo hooked.

It's a futuristic scifi show... here's the description:

"Five hundred years in the future, a renegade crew aboard a small, spacecraft tries to survive as they travel the unknown parts of the galaxy and evade warring factions as well as authority agents out to get them."



I absolutely love the characters on the show and the storyline in every episode. It's funny, dramatic, and easily developed a following, but it wasn't enough to keep it on the air. As a broadcast major, I understand why shows have to get canceled, but that doesn't mean that I don't hate when it happens.

I started watching the show because I've recently become a huge buff for Joss Whedon, the show's creator. Seriously, he's crazy-talented.

Anyways, have you ever seen Firefly? Have any of your favorite shows been canceled before their time?

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

R. Garrett Wilson said...

I love Firefly also. A friend recommended it to me the day before it was canceled - got to love the timing. I figured it was no good if it only survived one season, so I didn't actually watch it until Serenity came out.

No one watched it when it ran originally - well, almost no one knew about it. The advertising for it was aweful.

In a poll, it was considered the greatest SciFi show ever.

Other than Firefly, I don't know if any of my shows were canceled before their time, but I know of one that was canceled too late. I loved season one of Dark Angel. They should have stopped there.

Cat Jensen said...

I love Firefly as well. You're right, Joss Whedon is seriously talented. Have you seen Dr. Horrible? Also just amazing. Who doesn't love a singing Neil Patrick Harris and Felicia Day?

You should check out Dollhouse as well. Joss Whedon made it and there are a lot of the same actors in it. It too, got cancelled before its time...

And other shows that got cancelled to soon? I'm thinking Veronica Mars, and Blood Ties. And though I know I'm probably alone in this, I actually liked The Sarah Connor Chronicles and were disappointed when it got cancelled.

Misha said...

I want to watch it. But I never get my hands on it. *sooob*

inthewritemind said...

YES. Firefly is the epitome of AWESOME. I'm not even a huge sci-fi fan but I loved it--mainly because I love the hybrid between Wild West and space exploration.

Also, I love me some Jayne. *swoons*

When you're done watching the series, you must watch the movie, Serenity. It ties up the loose ends.

Also, one show I wish continued on...Ugly Betty. I would've loved to see if anything developed between Betty and Daniel. Oh well. That's what fan fiction is for :P