Thursday, May 26, 2011

Contemp or SciFi?

I my last post, I mentioned that one of my goals before the end of this year is to start writing a different book (preferably while I'm querying, if possible) and I'm at a crossroads as to what I should write.

You see, although when I'm actually writing the book I'm a fly by the seat of my pants kind of writer, I plan characters way in advance. I generally spend months and months just considering characters and all the small things about them before I ever put them on paper.

In other words, planning time starts now. I have an idea for a contemporary novel with a male character POV and a science fiction* with a female character POV. Decisions, decisions! I've been pretty sucky with contemporary YA in the past and I've never tried scifi, let alone read much, so it will be a difficult decision to say the least.

Am I the only one the writes in multiple genres across YA? I like being able to do a little bit of everything.

Also... any good scifi recommendations? Particularly of the YA persuasion? I read Across the Universe earlier this year and loved it.



* I admit I'm leaning towards scifi right now for reasons such as this one:

2 comments:

R. Garrett Wilson said...

I’m all for you trying your hand at SciFi, and I think the genre could use some more leading ladies.

Based on how loosely or strictly you define YA SciFi, there are lots of potential options to read: Hunger Games series, Books of Ember (these are actually kids’ novels), Ender’s Game and associated series (I think this was originally written as adult SciFi, but plenty of kids and young adults love it), some of the stories in I Dreamed a Crooked Dream (a Fantasy/SciFi anthology with stories from YA to adult), and The Host (not a YA novel, but still has a lot of Meyer’s easy writing style and, of course, her handling of relationships). That, while probably not the greatest introductory list of YA SciFi, gives you a start with novels that are mostly on the newer side. If you want to go with material for slightly older readers, Stephen Gould has Jumper, Helm, and Wildside. There’s also the Hugo and Nebula award winners – although these are often adult and not YA. Of this list, The Host, Wildside, and Hunger Games were my favorites – two of these have female protagonists, like you are planning. Hope the list helps.

Mariah Irvin said...

Thanks so much! Like I said, I haven't read much scifi, so anywhere is a good place to start!